Report an abandoned vehicle

East Dunbartonshire has experienced a number of vehicles being abandoned in the district over recent years and these can become an eyesore as well as present a risk to public health.

Please note:

  • Environmental Health have no powers in terms of parking issues.  Community Safety colleagues enforce parking legislation where the powers exist.
  • Dangerously or obstructively parked vehicles can be reported to the Police on the non-emergency contact number 101
  • Vehicles being driven with no current MOT should also be reported to Police Scotland on 101.
  • Untaxed vehicles, including those with SORN status parked on the public road must  be reported to the DVLA [opens in a new window].

You can check the tax and MOT status of a vehicle on the Government Website [opens in a new window]

A vehicle is considered to be ‘abandoned’ if it meets the following criteria:

  • the vehicle structure/glass has been damaged by vandalism as opposed to damage caused by a road traffic accident or
  • the vehicle has unsecured doors, boot open, missing wheels or
  • the vehicle has been partially or fully burnt out
  • a vehicle is NOT considered for investigation as abandoned if it does not meet the above criteria.

Abandoned vehicles are covered by the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978.  If a vehicle is suspected as having been abandoned on Council land then complete our online form and we can investigate the matter. 

If a vehicle meeting the criteria above is on private property it is the responsibility of the property owner to arrange for its removal.  If the property owner has not given permission for the vehicle to be there and wishes for it to be removed, they can contact us for assistance by completing our online form.