Work carried out without a Building Warrant

A Building Warrant is needed before any building or demolition is carried out. If you believe works have been carried out without a Building Warrant, contact the Council and we will investigate and advise you on the course of action required to rectify the matter.

If work has been carried out without a warrant there are a number of options to get approval from the Council, (please check the guidance notes in the documents section of this page).

If neither of these documents are available then you may ask Building Standards for a Letter of Comfort (only if works were completed before 30 April 2005).  To decide whether this is an option, the Building Standards officer will:

  • inspect the work to make sure it meets Standards
  • inform the applicant of any remedial work needed before the letter can be issued

If the necessary remedial work is not carried out then the Council may take statutory action.