General waste bin charge: FAQs


On this page you will find information on:

Why have you introduced a charge for the replacement of grey general waste wheelie bins?

Over the past few years there has been an increasing demand in the number of requests for replacement grey general waste wheelie bins increasing costs incurred by the Council.

What should I do if my grey general waste wheelie bin goes missing?

You should look for your bin at your normal waste collection point and check if a neighbour has retrieved your bin by mistake.

If you still cannot find your bin then please contact Customer Services on 0300 123 4510 to order a replacement bin. 

The Council will not collect your general waste from any receptacle other than an East Dunbartonshire Council provided grey general waste wheelie bin.

Could it have gone into the back of the General Waste Vehicle and will I have to pay for a replacement?

Between 5-10 grey general waste wheeled bins fall into the back of the collection vehicle each week. If your bin goes into the back of the wagon or is damaged by the mechanism or the crew, we will have a record of this and you will be notified by the crew via a leaflet left through your door. A new bin will be delivered free of charge as soon as possible. You will be left bags to use for your general waste in the meantime.

How do I order a new grey general waste wheelie bin if mine goes missing?

Complete our bin supply and removal request form or call 0300 123 4510 to place your order; payment must be made when ordering your bin.

How much does it cost? 

The charge for a replacement grey general waste bin is £52.00 which covers the cost of the bin. There is no delivery charge. The bin remains the property of East Dunbartonshire Council. 

Please note: There is no charge for green bins, recycling bins, internal and external food caddies.

How do I pay for my bins? 

Payment is required in advance of bin requests being processed and can be made by one of the following methods:

• Over the telephone - via debit or credit card
• At the Council HUB – payment via cash, cheque or card

If you need a receipt you should ask at the time of payment and one will be provided.

When will the bin be delivered? 

Once payment has been received, we will deliver your general waste grey bin within one week. However, if you do not receive it within the week please contact Customer Services on 0300 123 4510. 

Will I have to sign for delivery of the wheelie bin? 

Yes, a signature is required for receipt of your bin. You can nominate a neighbour to receive your bin. In this case your bin will be delivered to your nominated person who will have to sign for your bin.

If you are not home when we deliver your bin, we will deliver it and leave a card to say it has been delivered. Please note that The Council cannot take any responsibility if in this instance a bin goes missing and you will need to purchase another replacement bin. 

Can I collect a grey general waste wheelie bin from the council? 

No. Wheelie bins are available for delivery only and you are not permitted to collect them.

What will happen if I refuse to pay for a replacement wheelie bin?

If you do not purchase a replacement bin you will have to make alternative arrangements to dispose of your waste. You can take your waste to the Household Waste Recycling Centre, Mavis Valley Transfer.

Please do not flytip your waste. We have Enforcement Teams who investigate incidents of flytipping and we will take enforcement action against anyone found to have flytipped their waste.

Can I buy my bins from somewhere else? 

No. The Council will not empty non East Dunbartonshire Council supplied wheeled bins. Alternative bins may not be compatible with the bin lifting equipment on the waste collection vehicles. Collecting these bins could pose a risk to our collection crews as the bins could fall off. East Dunbartonshire Council bins comply with our design specifications and conform to the required British Standards.

If I can’t have a replacement grey general waste wheelie bin for free, can I just put my household waste in with my green bin? 

No. We will not collect your green wheelie bin if it contains waste other than garden waste.

If you are charging, can I purchase an additional grey general waste bin? 

No, we only supply one grey general waste wheelie bin per property.

If you are struggling to cope with the amount of waste your household produces, we can arrange a visit from the Waste Officer, to ensure you are maximising your use of our full range of recycling services. 


We will refund your payment if you contact us before we made arrangements for the delivery of the replacement bin.

You will need to call 0300 123 4510 to cancel. If we have already delivered the replacement bin, no refund can be given. 

How can I stop my grey general waste wheelie bin from being stolen? 

Mark your bin clearly with your house name or number. This can be painted on to your bin. Alternatively, wheelie bin stickers can be purchased from various shops.

Do not place your bin out too early or leave it out too long after collection. Your bin should be placed out for collection before 7am on your allocated day of collection but not before 7pm on the day before. The bin should be retrieved no later than 7.30pm the day of your collection.

The bin is provided for your use by the Council and it is your responsibility to ensure that it is stored safely.

Why doesn’t my council tax cover the cost of the bins? 

Part of your council tax goes towards the collection and disposal of your waste, not for the container from which it is collected. Waste collection is governed by the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 45 and Section 46. 

Can I claim on my insurance? 

You must call your insurance company to check, we cannot advise you on this.

I have built a new house and need bins for my new property. How do I arrange delivery of the waste and recycling bins?

Builders of new homes should provide bins they have purchased from the Council. Once you have a grey general waste bin you can be supplied with the following:-

• Blue recycling bin for paper and card.
• Brown recycling bin for cans, glass and plastic bottles.
• Internal food caddy and kerbside food caddy.
• Green bin for garden waste.

I am moving to a new home and there is no grey general waste wheelie bin there. What should I do? 

If you are moving to a newly built property and your waste receptacles have not been provided you will be charged, please speak to the house builder.

If you are moving to a previously occupied property, and the previous occupier has removed the waste and recycling receptacles, you will be required to buy a new grey general waste wheelie bin at a charge. However we will provide your replacement recycling containers free of charge once you have purchased this. Additionally, you may wish to raise this with your estate agent, letting agent or landlord prior to signing for your property. 

I am moving house; can I take my wheelie bins with me? 

No. Wheelie bins remain the property of East Dunbartonshire Council and must remain at the property they have been issued to.

Can I appeal or complain against the cost? 

No, this is a standard charge for all replacement grey general waste bins.