Keeping an animal in a council house

Your ability to keep animals depends on the type of house you live in. If you live in a flat with a common entrance, you need the Council’s permission to keep any pets.

Otherwise, you can keep one common household pet in your house. Over and above this, permission to keep additional pets is required.

You do not require permission for guide dogs or hearing dogs.

How to apply for permission

You should apply by writing to your local housing office, or by speaking to a member of staff who will make a note of your request.

The Council will not unreasonably withhold permission. If permission is granted, we will attach the following standard conditions:

  • Keeping your animal should not be prohibited by the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, or by any other law
  • You are responsible for the behaviour of any animal owned by you, anyone living with you or visiting you.
  • You must prevent your pet causing nuisance, annoyance or danger to your neighbours. This includes fouling, noise or smell from your animal.
  • You must ensure that your animal does not foul or cause damage to your house or any other property in the neighbourhood or the vicinity of your house.
  • You must supervise and keep any animal under control and prevent them from causing annoyance or nuisance or from frightening anyone.

If you do not adhere to the conditions for keeping an animal

We will discuss this with you, and give you the opportunity to keep to the conditions. However if the situation does not improve, we may withdraw permission to keep an animal. This would require you to make alternative arrangements for your animal. We may also consider involving other Council services, such as environmental health, Community Safety or the Noise Enforcement Team if your animal is causing a hazard to your neighbours.

If you need to build an outside home for your pet

You should first apply for permission by writing to your local housing office, or by speaking to a member of staff who will make a note of your application.

Permission will not be withheld unreasonably. The Council may attach conditions about the size and appearance of the outside home. You will also be responsible for obtaining any statutory permissions that are needed, for example, planning consent.

If we refuse your request, you can ask us to review our decision

You can ask that your request is reviewed by the Housing Services Team Leader. If you are not satisfied after this you can appeal in writing to the Head of Housing and Community Services.