Reporting Council housing repairs
The Council has a management centre which deals with reporting and ordering of your repairs. The Council’s housing offices in Milngavie, Kirkintilloch and Lennoxtown also deal with general repairs enquires.
When ordering a repair, call our Freephone number 0800 052 5574.
The Repairs Centre is responsible for:
- Taking your repairs reports
- Ordering and organising repairs
- Dealing with empty house repairs
- Arranging major improvement works, eg new central heating, roof replacement and rewiring
- Giving free advice on repairs and maintenance, eg how to avoid condensation
- Considering requests to make alterations to your home, eg putting up a garden hut
- Dealing with any complaints you have about repairs.
Council housing - services and communal repairs
Housing staff will actively listen to, and act upon, tenants' complaints and concerns about issues that affect the quality of life locally.
This includes not just major problems, but also relatively minor matters which may have the potential for escalation in future, if not dealt with effectively – for example, problems with litter in tenement closes or graffiti appearing for the first time.
Where problems are reported by tenants, these will be actioned within 48 hours – either by ordering of works or by inspection by a member of staff. In certain circumstances, we will arrange for action to be taken within 24 hours:
- Graffiti which is offensive (eg because it is racist or homophobic) will be removed as quickly as possible after being identified or reported
- Problems which are of an emergency nature or which present serious health and safety risks will be given priority when identified and/or reported. This includes matters such as the removal of syringes or the replacement of faulty communal lighting.
Repairs and maintenance works to housing estates are carried out under a range of contractual arrangements. Where problems are notified to us by tenants and these are the responsibility of other Council services, housing staff will pass details of the problems on to the relevant service (for example, we would refer issues such as illegal fly-tipping or abandoned vehicles to the Council's Community Protection Service).
Communal areas - lighting repairs
Where problems are reported by tenants, these will be actioned within 48 hours – either by ordering of works or by inspection by a member of staff.
In certain circumstances, we will arrange for action to be taken within 24 hours, eg problems which are of an emergency nature or which present serious health and safety risks will be given priority when identified and/or reported. This includes matters such as the removal of syringes or the replacement of faulty communal lighting.
To report a problem please contact:
- Customer Services on 0300 1234510
- E-mail Customer Services
Major works contracts
Each year, the Council carries out a programme of major works to its houses. This can include:
- central heating
- new windows and external doors
- treatment of wet and dry rot
- improvements to external fabric
- aids and adaptations (including discretionary adaptations) in conjunction with the Social Work Department.
This work is organised by the Repairs Management Centre. Details of any work to be carried out in your house are available from the Centre or by calling 0800 052 5574.
Right to Repair
We currently operate the Right to Repair scheme which provides a minimum standard for response times for certain types of repair jobs to be carried out by the Council. The Right to Repair covers small urgent repairs costing up to £250 which, if not carried out within a specified period, are likely to jeopardise the health, safety and security of the tenant.
For further information on the Right to Repair contact the Repairs Management Centre.