Council Tax Information

In this recent period of challenging financial circumstances, inflation reached over 10% and it has been an ongoing commitment of this Council to support our communities with a wide range of measures to support them during the cost of living crisis.

The Scottish Government is making £147 million available to local government in support of a Council Tax freeze, equating to a 5% equivalent net increase in Council Tax, which for East Dunbartonshire, amounts to some £3.2m.

Crucially, Scottish Government has confirmed that this will be baselined into our grant settlement in future years. That’s a total of £10m over the lifetime of this council, helping our council tax payers to meet the cost of living.

For these reasons, we accepted the proposed Council Tax freeze.

The decision to accept the freeze was in advance of finalising our full Council General Revenue and Capital Budgets and agreeing the remaining options for bridging the financial gap for 2024/25, which it is proposed that we conclude later in March 2024.

Council Leader Gordan Low

On this page you will find information on:

Further information 

For enquiries on Council Tax, including Discounts, Reductions and Rebates you can contact: 
2 - 4 West High Street Kirkintilloch,
G66 1AD
Tel: 0141 578 8190

SMS Texting We can now send SMS texts to remind you when payments are due. If you want to sign up for this service please contact us on Tel: 0141 578 8190

Council Tax Reduction

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme is a Scottish Government Scheme administered by local government. This scheme is a means-tested reduction and is calculated on your Council Tax bill, you and your partner’s weekly income, capital and your household circumstances. Council Tax Reduction is normally awarded from the Monday after we receive your completed claim form and it is paid straight into your Council Tax Account to reduce the amount you need to pay. If your own income is too high for you to qualify for Council Tax Reduction but someone else in your household is on a low income, you may be entitled to an Alternative Maximum Council Tax Reduction (previously known as a Second Adult Rebate) of up to 25% of your Council Tax liability. It is important you do not delay in applying as in most cases we are not able to backdate Council Tax Reduction even if you would have been entitled to an award if you had claimed earlier. If you are currently receiving Council Tax Reduction you do not need to re-apply. We will use the information we hold to work out how much Council Tax Reduction you are due from April 2024 and this will be shown on your bill. You can apply for a council tax reduction online or visit our Discounts and Reductions webpage for more information.

Changes in Circumstances

If you are receiving Council Tax Reduction you must tell us about any change in your household circumstances or income. Examples of some of the most common changes are an increase or decrease in your income, changes to the amount of money you have coming in, someone moving in or out of the house or changing your job. You must tell us about any change at all and we will tell you if it affects your reduction entitlement. Changes in your cirumstances do not always mean you are due less reduction - you can also be due more help. Find out more on the changes in your circumstances webpage.

Fraud & Data Protection

The Council is under a duty to protect the public funds that it administers by preventing and detecting fraud. If you have any information about any frauds perpetrated against the Council you can report fraud online or call: 0300 123 4510 or request a paper copy of the information from:

Council Headquarters
Southbank Marina
12 Strathkelvin Place
G66 1TJ

Welfare Rights & Money Advice

East Dunbartonshire residents can get a one-stop-shop approach to Welfare Rights and Money Advice issues through the local Citizens Advice Bureau. Visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website for more information. Please call: 0141 775 3220 to make an appointment.

Save Money on your Energy Bills

Home Energy Scotland from the Scottish Government is a source of free and impartial advice on how to make your home cheaper to heat. Advice and Support provided includes information on government schemes and funding available for energy efficiency improvements such as new insulation or a replacement boiler. Whether you rent or own your home, visit Home Energy Scotland's website for more informarion or call: 0808 808 2282.

Scottish Welfare Fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund provides Community Care Grants, Crisis Grants and Self Isolation Grants. The Council administers this Scottish Government Scheme for the residents of East Dunbartonshire.


  • Crisis Grants may provide a safety net in an emergency or when there is an immediate threat to health or safety.
  • Self Isolation grants are to help when you are required to self isolate and your income is reduced.
  • Community Care Grants may help to enable independent living or continued independent living, thus preventing the need for institutional care. They are also intended to help families or individuals who are facing exceptional pressure. This means that a Community Care Grant could help you if you are setting up in the community after a period of care, being homeless or help you stay in your home rather than go into care. For help or further information on Scottish Welfare Fund please phone: 0300 123 4510.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will continue to be rolled out in East Dunbartonshire in line with the Department of Work & Pensions timetable. If you are receiving Universal Credit you should still make an application for Council Tax Reduction as this is a totally separate award. Find out more information on our Universal Credit webpage. You can also call the Department of Work & Pensions on Tel: 0800 328 5644. 

General Information

The Council Tax for your property is based on the valuation band it is placed in by the Assessor. East Dunbartonshire Council has set the Council Tax levels for the year 1 April 2024 and 31 March 2025. Your Council Tax is due in 10 consecutive monthly instalments payable on or by 1 April through to 1 of January in each financial year. If you pay by Direct Debit you can choose to pay on 1,15, or 28 of each month.

Scottish Water - Water and Waste Water Service Charges – 2024/25

East Dunbartonshire Council is not responsible for setting these charges. The level of charges is set by the Water Authority and is subject to scrutiny by the Water Commissioner and the Scottish Government.

Your Council Tax bill includes the charges for your water supply and waste water collection services from Scottish Water.

Scotland’s water is vital to our everyday lives, and Scottish Water is responsible for caring for it.

Scottish Water is publicly owned, and they invest every penny into protecting the nation’s most precious resource. Scottish Water is owned by you, the Scottish public – so it really is your water, for your life.

The charges you pay allow Scottish Water to operate and improve water and waste water services and infrastructure in communities across Scotland.

These charges apply to every household which has a connection to the public water supply, the public waste water network, or both.

Your water and waste water charges are based on the Council Tax Band for your home and will be shown on your Council Tax bill, even if you receive Council Tax Reduction. Some Council Tax exemptions and discounts will also apply to these charges, such as single occupancy or if you are a student.

For more details about Scottish Water water & waste water charges and to view/download a copy of the 2024/25 Scottish Water Unmetered Household Charges leaflet visit Scottish Water charges webpage [opens in a new window}

To find out more about Scottish Water, their customer charter and keep up to date with what they are doing in your area: 
Email:;  or
Call the Scottish Water Customer Helpline free 24/7 on 0800 0778778.

We are required by law to bill and collect these charges on behalf of Scottish Water. Even if you are in receipt of maximum Council Tax reduction you must pay your Water and Waste charges.

Who Pays

The person highest on the list below is normally responsible for paying the Council Tax:

  • Owner Occupier Tenant Occupier Sub-tenant Occupier Occupier
  • Owner (normally where the property is unoccupied).
  • Married, unmarried couples living together, or couples in a Civil Partnership are jointly and severally liable for payment of Council Tax and other charges, as are joint owners and joint tenants.

When to Pay

Your Council Tax is due in 10 consecutive monthly instalments payable on or by the 1 April through to the 1 January in each financial year. If you pay by Direct Debit you can choose to pay on the 1, 15 or 28 of each month.

You can pay over 12 months if you pay by Direct Debit.

How to Pay

  • There are seven ways that you can pay your Council Tax: By Direct Debit - the easiest way to pay Via Direct Banking
  • By touchtone on 0300 123 4524 (24 hours a day)
  • or by telephone on 0300 123 4525 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
  • You can pay online at East Dunbartonshire Payments [opens in a new window] By credit or debit card at any of the Council’s hubs At any Post Office or local PayPoint
  • By post

What happens if you fail to pay

If you miss one or any part of an instalment you will be sent a reminder requiring you to bring your instalments completely up to date within seven days. You can only receive two of these reminders in any financial year. If you do not pay within seven days or have had two reminders you will be sent a final notice requiring you to pay the full balance due in 14 days.

If full payment is not made within 14 days, court action will be taken and a 10% statutory penalty will be added to your account. Your account will then be passed to the Sheriff Officer for collection. If you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax you should contact the Revenues & Benefits Team. We may be able to come to an alternative repayment arrangement or you may be entitled to help paying your Council Tax through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Discounts, Exemptions & Help for People with Disabilities

If you think you may be eligible for a discount, exemption or help for people with a disability.

Information on Discounts, Exemptions & Help for People with Disabilities can be found on our Discounts and Reduction webpage.


A 25% discount may be available if there is only one adult (aged 18 or more) who has their main residence in the property. Some people are not counted when deciding how many adults are resident in a property e.g. full-time students, apprentices,

people with a severe mental impairment, people who are resident in hospital or care/nursing homes. You do need to tell us about everyone in the property aged 18 or over and tell us if they are in any of the previous categories.

  • You may qualify for a 10% reduction in your Council Tax if: The property is unoccupied
  • The property is unoccupied and earlier discounts/exemptions have run out.

You may qualify for a 50% reduction (six months maximum) in your Council Tax if:

  • The property is unoccupied and unfurnished and the six months exemption period has ended.


There are a number of circumstances where a property may be exempt from Council Tax. Some of the most common are as follows:

  • The property is unoccupied and unfurnished for up to six months
  • The property is incapable of being lived in because it is being structurally repaired, improved or reconstructed (up to a maximum of 12 months from the date property last occupied)
  • All the residents are full-time students or under the age of 18.
  • All the residents have a severe mental impairment.

Help for people with  disabilities

A reduction may be possible if you, or someone who lives with you, has a disability and needs an extra room or bathroom to meet your/their needs, or uses a wheelchair indoors. More detailed advice is available from the Council Tax Administration Team

Changes in Circumstances

If you are in receipt of any reduction in your Council Tax you must tell us whenever your circumstances change, for example when someone moves into your home, someone turns 18 or someone stops being a student. If you fail to tell us about a change in circumstances which may affect discounts or exemptions you may be liable to a penalty of up to £500.

Appeal Rights

You can appeal to the Revenues & Benefits Section if you disagree with the decision to hold you liable to pay Council Tax or the calculation of your bill. If you remain dissatisfied, or do not receive a response within two months, you have the right of appeal to the Scottish Tribunal Service - Local Taxation Chamber.

If you have an enquiry about the Council Tax Band for your property, you should contact:

Assessor to the Joint Valuation Board,
235 Dumbarton Road,
G81 4XJ.

Tel: 0141 562 1200

Council Tax 2024/25

Band D Council Tax 2024/25                      £1,415.66
Band D Council Tax 2023/24                      £1,415.66

  House Value £ Council Tax 2024/25 £
A Up to 27,000 943.77
B 27,001-35,000 1,101.07
C 35,001-45,000 1,258.36
D 45,001-58,000 1,415.66
E 58,001-80,000 1,860.20
F 80,001-106,000 2,300.45
G 106,001-212,000 2,772.33
H 212,001+ 3,468.37