Shared Equity

The East Dunbartonshire Council Shared Equity for Sale Scheme

The East Dunbartonshire Council Shared Equity for Sale Scheme (SESS) gives financial help to people who cannot afford the full purchase price of a home. The scheme allows people to buy a share in a property, which can be built by either the Council or in partnership with a housing developer. The purchaser will need to obtain a mortgage to buy the property, and will require to pay a deposit based on the lender’s requirements. The deposit is often based on the full valuation price rather than the discounted sale price.

The share a purchaser will obtain will usually be between 60% and 80% of the market valuation of the property and this is dependent on their income and any savings they have. The whole of the legal title, however, is held by the individual owner who is also responsible for repairing and maintaining the property. For example, if a purchaser buys 80% of a property, the Council will pay for and be entitled to the remaining 20% share. When the owner sells the property the Council may choose to purchase their share or will be entitled to a share of the money paid for the property on sale. The Council will always retain a minimum 20% ownership stake of the property which means that the maximum stake that an owner can buy is 80%.

Qualifying Criteria/Priority Groups

Income thresholds are applied as part of the eligibility criteria. The maximum gross annual income which applicants may earn is detailed below. Those who earn more than these levels on an annual basis are ineligible for SESS.

Bearsden and Milngavie

Maximum Income

Single Applicant Income*

£42,713

Household with More than One Income

£49,834

Strathkelvin

Maximum Income

Single Applicant Income*

£31,572 

Household with More than One Income

£36,834 

*In those circumstances where a single income is being used to apply for a multi-person household with non-earning dependents (in particular for children), the upper maximum threshold will also be considered.

The scheme is predominantly aimed at first time buyers living in East Dunbartonshire. However, preference will also be given to:

  • People who are homeless or threatened with homelessness and have had a homelessness assessment carried out by East Dunbartonshire Council
  • People living in Council or Housing Association social rented accommodation in East Dunbartonshire
  • People with a disability whose current home doesn't suit their needs
  • Residents living in housing that is Below Tolerable Standard
  • People leaving the armed forces, or veterans
  • People who have experienced a significant change in their circumstances, such as separating households or are subject to mortgage stress

Preference is given to those living in East Dunbartonshire. Additional preference is given to applicants on the Council’s Housing List**. This may mean that a resident living outwith East Dunbartonshire could be offered a shared equity property but only once the above groups have been exhausted.

There are currently no SESS homes available at the moment, but it is anticipated that three 2 bedroom houses will available at The Primary development (former St Agatha’s School) in Kirkintilloch, and eight 2 bedroom flats, and one 1 bedroom flat will be developed at Kilmardinny, Bearsden later in 2021. These properties will be sold on a shared equity basis, and will be advertised on the Council’s website at that time.

If you fit the eligibility criteria and would like to register your interest in future shared equity homes please contact East Dunbartonshire Council. We will then advise you when properties are available to allow you to make an application. The Council will require verification and will undertake checks to ensure that applicants meet the eligibility criteria.

Email: shared.equity@eastdunbarton.gov.uk

Telephone: 0300 1234510

* *Interested parties may wish to contact their local Housing Team on the above telephone number to check whether they are already registered on the housing list or to request a housing application form, so they can be registered on the list.