Secondary school registration

Registration for Children due to transfer from P7 to S1

EDUCATION (Scotland) Act 1980 [opens  in a new window]

It is customary for children to attend their local secondary school.

Before submitting a registration form please check your catchment school using the school catchment areas tool. Please be aware the catchment school for your address may not always be the school nearest your home.

Further to the implementation of the Council’s consultation on School Admissions and Transfer Arrangements from primary to secondary in August 2020, parents residing within the area of East Dunbartonshire are required to complete an online application to register for S1 at their preferred catchment secondary school. You will be required to upload evidence of residency within the delineated catchment area of the secondary school during the online application. The evidence should include: Council Tax bill, a recent utility bill within 3 months, Child Benefit Statement or bank statement showing Child Benefit is paid to you.

How do I register my child for secondary school at the start of the academic year in August?

You can register your child for your catchment secondary school by completing the online registration form. Entry to secondary schools in East Dunbartonshire is on a once-a-year basis, at the start of the session in August.

Know your catchment school.

You can register your child for your catchment secondary school by completing the online registration form between Wednesday 1st November 2023 and Thursday 30th November 2023.

You will be required to upload your current Council Tax notice, a recent utility bill, Child Benefit details/Tax Credit Award Notice (TCAN) and your child's birth certificate. If you are registering at a denominational school and your child has been baptised, you may also upload their baptismal certificate.

In cases where children are residing with relatives, legal confirmation of guardianship will also be required.

Gaelic Medium Education

Gaelic Medium Education (GME) is an option within Scottish schools that gives children and young people the opportunity to become proficient in Gaelic as well as English. GME is a free bilingual education option available within East Dunbartonshire Council at Meadowburn Primary School.  

What if I want to send my child to a school outside my local catchment area? (Placing Request)

You have the right to make a placing request for your child to attend a school other than their catchment area school. Information on placing requests can be found in School placing requests.

Moving to a new school in East Dunbartonshire

If you are moving into East Dunbartonshire, or moving from one area in East Dunbartonshire to another, within the academic year please complete the registration form above. Please select the mid-session transfer option when answering the question ‘anticipated starting date’.

To establish proof of residency we also require the following documents.

  • Utility bill, with your name, current address and dated within last 3 months.   A utility bill can only be from your gas/electricity/broadband/landline phone provider or a TV Licence. 
  • Current council tax bill
  • Child's full birth certificate/Current passport
  • Child benefit or bank statement showing Child benefit is paid to you (if applicable).  Your name and address should be displayed, alternatively if you are unable to email the document can you please email a photograph or screen shot of a recent bank statement, that displays your name, address, date and highlights the Child Benefit Transaction?  Please note all other transactions should be blacked out.  If you are not in receipt of child benefit can you please advise

In cases where children are residing with relatives, legal confirmation of guardianship will also be required.

On occasions, there may not be a space immediately in your catchment area school. If this happens, we will provide re-direction to the nearest school with availability until a space becomes available in the catchment area school.

Please note that we cannot process your registration and therefore register your child until you have physically moved to your new address and you have provided the appropriate documents.