Applications are now open for Free School Meals and School Clothing Grants for academic year August 2023 – June 2024. Please read all information before completing the application form.
The School Clothing Grant amounts being paid by East Dunbartonshire Council for the coming academic year are:
- £240 for primary school pupils
- £300 for secondary school pupils
Please note that you require to make a new application for Free School Meals and/or Clothing Grants each year.
School meals are free for all pupils in P1 to P5 and there is no need to apply for that universal provision.
All children in a funded early learning and childcare place receive a free meal on the days they attend. Clothing Grants are not available for children attending Early Years Centres.
Important points to note:
- You must inform East Dunbartonshire Council of any change in circumstance that may affect your entitlement to Free School Meals or School Clothing Grants.
- You only need to complete one online form for all eligible children in the household.
- You must upload all necessary supporting documents, making sure to include all pages of relevant letters, as we require to see your name and address on the letter, as well as any information relating to benefits, income/take home pay amounts.
- Payments for pupils who are 16 or over will be made once return to school has been confirmed following the summer holiday period.
On this page you will find information on:
- Help with School Meals during school holidays 2023/24
- How to apply
- How and when will Clothing Grants be paid
- Kinship carers
- Supporting Evidence Required
East Dunbartonshire Council will provide additional financial support during five holiday periods over the coming academic year to families who apply for and meet the eligibility criteria for Free School Meals.
Holiday periods covered by additional financial support:
- October mid-term 2023
- Christmas 2023
- February mid-term 2024
- Easter 2024
- Summer 2024
To be eligible for Free School Meals or Clothing Grants, your child(ren) must attend any primary, secondary or additional support needs school managed by East Dunbartonshire Council. All applicants must meet the eligibility criteria laid out below.
Pupils are eligible to apply for Free School Meals and/or Clothing Grants in their own right if they are aged 16-18 and in receipt of one of the benefits listed above.
To check if you qualify, please refer to the table below
|Eligibility criteria||Free School Meals||School Clothing Grant|
|Job Seeker’s Allowance – Income Based||Yes||Yes|
|Employment and Support Allowance – Income Based||Yes||Yes|
|Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of not more than £726||Yes||Yes|
|Child Tax Credit Only (ie not Working Tax Credit) with an income of less than £18,725||Yes||Yes|
|Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income of up to £8,717||Yes||Yes|
|Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999||Yes||Yes|
|Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income between £8,717 and £18,725||No||Yes|
|Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction (please note this is not discount)||No||Yes|
To apply for Free School Meals and/or Clothing Grants, please complete the online application form at the end of this page. Please note that you must upload the supporting evidence required along with your application. Further guidance on supporting evidence is provided below. Once you have submitted your application you will receive a confirmation email and a reference number that must be quoted on all correspondence.
If, for any reason you cannot upload your proof of eligibility, this will require to be emailed to email@example.com Please quote your application reference number and “Free School Meals or Clothing Grant” in the subject header.
Anyone who requires assistance in completing the online form should call 0300 1234510 and make an appointment with one of our advisers at our Community Hubs. Applicants should bring all documents containing evidence of eligibility to the meeting.
Clothing Grants will be made by BACS payment directly into bank accounts. Please ensure that you provide the correct bank details on your application form.
Clothing Grants will be paid as quickly as possible. We aim to make payment within four weeks of applications being received, however, please note that we will be dealing with a high volume of applications, so your patience is appreciated.
Payments for pupils who are 16 or over at the time of application will be made once return to school has been confirmed, following the summer holiday period.
If you have not uploaded/provided the correct supporting evidence, your application will be delayed.
If you do not have access to a bank account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to arrange an alternative method of payment.
If you are a kinship carer, you may be eligible to apply for Free School Meals and/or Clothing Grants. You will require to provide evidence of the kinship arrangements and you must be in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits.
If your application is refused, you have the right to appeal the decision. This can be done by sending an email to email@example.com within one calendar month of notification of refusal, with the subject heading of FOR ATTENTION OF THE CHIEF EDUCATION OFFICER – FSM/CG APPEAL
Please note that in addition to the information laid out below, occasionally it may be necessary for further information such as bank statements to be provided. The Team will request this when appropriate.
- Income Support - Most recent letter of award
- Job Seeker’s Allowance (Income Based) - Most recent letter of award.
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Based) - Most recent letter of award.
- Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of not more than £726 - A copy of your most recent Universal Credit statement, this can be in the form of screenshots from your online account. Your statement MUST show the following:-
- Name and address
- Breakdown of payment (housing and child elements)
- Most importantly - Take Home Pay
- Full deductions section
- Total payment for the month
If you are unable to see Take Home Pay, click on the Plus Sign beside “Other support you may be able to get” – shown on screen 1 below. This should open up a screen and provide the Take Home Pay amount – as shown on screen 2 below. This is the information we require to see.
5. Child Tax Credit Only with an income of less than £18,725.Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income of up to £8,717
Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income between £8,717 and £18,725
A copy of your most recent award letter, this can either be a scan or photograph, or screenshots from your online Government Gateway account. The information MUST show the following:-
- Name and address
- Earned income for year 2022/2023
If you are uploading scans/photographs of your letter, please ensure you provide all pages of the letter, ensuring page numbers are clearly shown at the bottom.
6. Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 - Copy of your ARC Card or BAIL201 Letter or Serco Occupancy Agreement.
7. Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction - Up to date letter from the local authority confirming you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. It is important to note that Council Tax Discount is NOT the same as Council Tax Reduction.