School Clothing Grant and Free School/Early Years Meals 2022/23
Applications are now open for School Clothing Grants and Free Meals for academic year 2022/23. Please read the sections below that fully explain qualifying criteria and ensure you apply each year to continue to benefit.
East Dunbartonshire Council has been allocated additional monies from the Scottish Government Local Authority COVID Economic Recovery Fund, which means that we have been able to double the School Clothing Grants to £240 per eligible primary school child and £300 per eligible secondary school child. This increase is aimed at helping families cope with the current cost of living increases and will be applicable only for academic year 2022/23.
Points to Note:
- You must inform East Dunbartonshire Council of any change in circumstance that may affect your entitlement to free meals or school clothing grants.
- You only need to complete one online form for all eligible children in the household.
- You must upload all necessary supporting documents, making sure to include all pages of relevant letters as we require to see your name and address on the letter, as well as any information relating to benefits, income/take home pay amounts.
- Payments for pupils who are 16 or over will be made once they return to school after the summer holiday period.
School Clothing Grant and Free Meals Information below.
School clothing grant
Parents have the responsibility to ensure that their children have adequate footwear and clothing to take full advantage of the education provided at school. The Council will help parents to meet this responsibility by providing a grant to those who are eligible to purchase appropriate school clothing and footwear for their child(ren). The amount being paid for year 2022/23 has been increased to provide an additional level of support to families. This increase will be in place for year 2022/23 only.
- Eligible pupils attending Primary School will receive £240
- Eligible pupils attending Secondary School will receive £300
- Children attending an Early Years Centre are not eligible to receive clothing grant
Clothing grants will be paid to parents/carers whose children attend a school managed by the East Dunbartonshire Council and who get one of the following benefits:
- Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Universal Credit where the monthly earned income does not exceed £660
- Working Tax Credit with a household income no greater than £17,005
- Child Tax Credit only with an annual income of less than £17,005
- Asylum Seeker, receiving support under part VI of the Immigration Act 1999
Free school meals
Free school meals are provided to every child from P1 to P5 if they wish.
Free school meals are also provided to all older pupils whose parents/carers/guardians get one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, with an income of less than £17,005
- Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income of up to £7,920
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of not more than £660
Making an application
School session beginning August 2022/23
You can apply for free school meals, free early years meals and school clothing grants on one simple online form by clicking the link below. You can add multiple children to the one form.
You should upload a scan or photograph of all supporting documentation as evidence of eligibility where indicated on the form so that your entitlement can be verified. If, for any reason you cannot upload your proof of entitlement, this will require to be emailed to email@example.com quoting your reference number and Free School Meals or Clothing Grant.
Once you have submitted your application you will receive a confirmation email and a reference number that must be quoted on all correspondence.
School Clothing Grants will be paid directly into bank accounts so please complete the bank details section on the application form to enable the grant to be paid.
You can complete the application form here:
Please note: There is now just one combined online form for all free school meals, free early years meals and School Clothing Grant applications.