Drains and gullies

The Council maintains 19,000 gullies on roads, footpaths and car parks.  The gullies are cleaned at least once or twice a year.   We have two gully vehicles on 24 hour standby to go to emergency flooding or drainage problems.  The Gully Service can also retrieve lost items for example keys. 


  • if the fault is due to a burst water mains pipe, Scottish Water will go and make sure there is no sewage leakage.   For further information go to the Scottish Water website [opens in a new window].
  • the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) is the flood warning authority in Scotland.  They run a Floodline for information (telephone 0845 988 1188) , or you can visit the SEPA website [opens in a new window].
  • in the event of a major flooding incident the Council will talk with Emergency Services and give flood warnings to the public. The Council will also help with sandbags, arrange pumping equipment, evacuations and emergency shelter, where possible

How to report a gully fault

You can report a gully, drainage or flooding problem: