The Council monitors developments to make sure that planning regulations are followed.  If these regulations are not followed we can enforce planning controls if it is in the public’s interest to do so.

Report work without planning permission

It is important that you contact us to report any problems you are aware of, such as:

  • work being carried out without planning permission or consent
  • an unauthorised change of use
  • failure to comply with conditions attached to a permission or consent
  • departures from approved plans or consent

Reports can be made online, by email or in writing to the Planning Department and you must state:

  • the address of the property concerned
  • details of the suspected breach of planning control, with any details you feel may be relevant
  • your name and contact details
  • information on how the breach affects you
  • if the enquiry is to be treated as confidential (sometimes information may have to be made public under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002)

The Council cannot respond to anonymous complaints so any complaints that are made anonymously are not normally pursued.

If you need more information view the Planning Enforcement Charter 2023. This Charter sets out the current powers available to planning authorities.

Our Enforcement Register page shows all Planning Enforcement Notices, Stop Notices and Breach of Condition Notices served since 2010.