Noise Enforcement

Noise can be unwanted sound that interferes with the peace and quiet you enjoy in your own home.  Antisocial Behaviour Noise includes:

  • Loud music
  • DIY noise
  • Loud TVs etc

If you have approached your neighbour about noise and they are still causing a problem, in most cases we will ask you to fill out a noise diary to help us investigate.

We may also contact the person you are complaining about to advise them a report has been made and that we may take readings and recordings in the course of our investigation.  We do not say who has made the complaint.

If we discover a nuisance in terms of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 then we can serve a Notice on the person responsible to stop, reduce or control the hours when the noise is made. If they fail to meet with the terms then a report may be made to the Procurator Fiscal.

To report a problem you can contact us.

Anti - Social Behaviour First Point of Contact for Nuisance

Our Wardens are usually the first point of contact in dealing with minor incidents of antisocial behaviour and neighbour disputes and are a link between the community and the police in trying to reduce crime and antisocial behaviour.  They also have enforcement responsibilities including antisocial noise monitoring, dog fouling and litter. 

We believe that antisocial or nuisance behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.  Antisocial behaviour includes a wide range of issues including:

  • playing music at excessive levels
  • vandalism
  • harassment
  • violence
  • drug related issues
  • disorder and a wide range of criminal activities

We can only tackle antisocial behaviour if you tell us about it and how it is affecting your quality of life. We need to know when and where it is happening so that we can target those causing the problems and introduce suitable and effective solutions.  

Where possible we aim to resolve problems informally through advice or mediation. 

If this cannot be achieved then we will instigate court action on your behalf.  Court action will only be considered if you agree and you will be consulted at every stage of the process.  Any information you provide will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Night Noise

You can call us to report antisocial night noise from Friday to Sunday 8pm to 4am on 0300 1234510 or you can contact Police Scotland on 101.

For each complaint received, we will:

  • Assess whether a visit is required and discuss your complaint with you
  • Visit the house or flat you are calling about and speak to your neighbour
  • We may measure the noise levels in your home to assess the problem

Barking Dogs

Barking dogs are covered by the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 and you can take your own case to the District Court.  It is free and all you need to do is gather evidence (such as statements from other people who have heard the dog barking, recordings etc.) and put your case before a Justice of the Peace. 

Reporting a problem:

If you are a Council tenant you can contact your local Housing Office or if you are a Housing Association tenant you can contact your local Association Office

Contact Us