Air Quality

We monitor air quality in East Dunbartonshire and our Air quality reports tell us how clean the air is. You may find them useful if you have any kind of respiratory disease such as asthma.  We have four automatic continuous monitoring stations:

  • Townhead, Kirkintilloch
  • Park Road/ Main Street, Milngavie
  • Crowhill Road, Bishopbriggs
  • Roman Road/ Drymen Road, Bearsden

The Scottish Government has a free service that you can register with to receive free air quality alerts. Please visit the Scottish air quality site for more information.

Our Statutory consultation on the Draft Bearsden Air Quality Action Plan is now underway. 

Air Quality Management Area (AQMA)

These are areas where pollutants may exceed acceptable levels and further action may be needed.  We have two Air Quality Management Areas:


Wood burning stoves and smoke control areas

It is becoming increasingly popular for households to install alternative heat and power sources in their homes.  Before installing an appliance for burning solid fuel in your home you should consider the following:

  • Whether your property is within a Smoke Control Area
  • Nuisance from smoke which may be experienced by your neighbours
  • Planning approval for any installation
  • Building Warrant approval for any installation

Large areas of East Dunbartonshire are Smoke Control Areas  which means it is an offence to use unauthorised fuel unless it is used in an exempt appliance.

For further information with up to date lists of authorised fuels and exempt appliances you should visit the Defra website.


The most common places you may find asbestos in the home are:

  • garage roof and wall panels
  • roof tiles
  • insulation material in heating systems
  • airing cupboard linings, shelving and doors
  • flue pipes wall and floor coverings
  • textured coating e.g. Artex
  • storage heater
  • ironing boards

What do I do if I find asbestos?

We do not survey or dispose of asbestos.  If you think you have material containing asbestos in your home do not disturb it and seek professional guidance on how to deal with it.