Council Tax Payment FAQs

Did you know that you can view your Council Tax account online?

You will need your reference number and on line key from your most recent Council Tax bill.

Can I make a payment to my Council Tax online?

Yes, you can pay online using your Visa, Mastercard, Maestro or Delta cards.

How can I pay my Council Tax?

Council Tax can be paid by:

  • There are seven ways that you can pay your Council Tax: By Direct Debit - the easiest way to pay Via Direct Banking
  • By touchtone on 0300 123 4524 (24 hours a day)
  • or by telephone on 0300 123 4525 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
  • Online at: East Dunbartonshire Payments [opens in a new window] By credit or debit card at any of the Council’s hubs At any Post Office or local PayPoint
  • By post

How do I set up a Direct Debit?

This can be set up by:

I paid by direct debit last year, do I need to set it up again?

No, your Direct Debit will remain in place unless you cancel this.

Can I pay by Standing Order, BACS or by home banking?

Yes, you will need to give your bank the Council’s bank details and make sure they quote the payment reference number shown on your bill:

Bank Name: Clydesdale Bank Plc. 110 Cowgate, Kirkintilloch, G66 1JU
Bank Sort Code: 82-69-13
Bank Account Number: 80000601 - for Council Tax

Why have you cancelled or stopped taking payments by my Direct Debit?

We do not have the right to cancel your direct debit. We will remove your right to pay when two consecutive monthly payments are missed. We will notify you in writing if this happens.

If you have any issues with your Direct Debit you should speak to your bank in the first instance.

Can I pay weekly?

Yes, as long as your full monthly payment is made by the 1st of each month.   

Can I pay over 12 months instead of 10 months?

The option to pay over 12 months instead of the normal 10 is only available to those paying by Direct Debit on the 1st of each month.

What should I do if I am struggling to pay my Council Tax?

 If you are having difficulties paying your Council Tax you should contact us immediately. We may be able to offer repayment arrangements. You may be entitled to a discount or exemption through the Council Tax Reduction scheme

Why have you sent me a reminder?

Reminders are sent if you have missed any full or part payment of an instalment. Payment of the missed amount must be made with seven days. Only two of this type of reminder can be issued in any financial year. If you do not pay within seven days or have had reminders on two previous occasions, you lose the right to pay by instalments. A final notice requiring you to pay the full balance due in 14 days will be issued.

What happens if I do not pay?

We must receive your Council Tax payment on or before the instalment date. If not, we will issue a reminder asking you to pay the missed instalment within seven days. If you do not pay the outstanding amount you will lose the right to pay by instalments. A final notice will be issued for the full year's charge.

The reason for issuing a final notice is to allow recovery action to be taken. If full payment is not made within 14 days, the Council will apply to the Sheriff Court for a summary warrant. Once this is obtained a 10% statutory penalty will be added to your account.

What shall I do if I have paid recently but received a letter saying that I haven’t?

You need to check that your payment has been received and your account is up to date.

What shall I do if I am unable to pay in full?

You need to pay as much as you can and contact the Council Tax Team to see if you can make an alternative payment arrangement.  

Who is liable to pay?

The Person highest on the list below is normally responsible for paying the Council Tax: 

  • Owner Occupier
  • Tenant Occupier
  • Sub-Tenant Occupier
  • Occupier
  • Non-resident Tenant
  • Non Resident Sub-Tenant
  • Owner (where the property is unoccupied)

In which situations is the owner liable to pay Council Tax?

Normally the owner is liable if they are resident in the property. The owner is also liable where there is no one else liable. Example, when a property is between tenancies or unoccupied.

What is joint and several liability?

Under Joint and several liability all liable persons are equally liable for the full Council tax. It is up to the Joint and several liable persons to sort out any proportions between themselves.

Who pays Council Tax?

The person or people named on your Council Tax bill are liable to pay Council Tax. Any husband, wife or partner will also be responsible for paying the Council Tax.