Paying your Council Tax

The Council is responsible for determining who has to pay Council Tax and your bill is based on your Council Tax Band. We issue Council Tax bills in March each year to tell you how much you must pay. Your bill may be reduced if your eligible for any Discounts or Reductions.

There are several ways to pay your bill, please view our Payments page for how to pay your Council Tax. If you have any query about paying your Council Tax bill, please contact us online or telephone 0300 123 4510 and ask for the Council Tax section.

Our Council Tax information explains how your 2022 Council Tax bill has been calculated, gives some information on some of the Council's services and details the Council's Revenue Budget for 2022/23. A paper or pdf version is available, to request a copy please email

Your Council Tax Online

You can use this service to:

  • Moving in or out of East Dunbartonshire
  • Set up to pay Council Tax by Direct Debit
  • Claim a single person discount
  • Change your personal status
  • Check the Council Tax band of any property in East Dunbartonshire
  • View your bills online

You can still pay your Council Tax online using the payments link below.

Moving house

You must let us know if you move house so we can adjust our records and re-calculate your Council Tax bill for your old address. We also need to assess your Council Tax liability for your new address if it's in East Dunbartonshire. You should also inform the Electoral Registration Office [opens ion a new window] so they can update their records.

Change in circumstances

If you receive any discounts to reduce your Council Tax, you must tell us whenever your circumstances change. Some examples of changes in circumstances are: when someone moves in to your home, someone turns 18 or someone stops being a student. If you fail to tell us of a change in circumstances which may affect your discounts or exemptions, you may be liable to a £50 penalty as well as having to pay back the discount.


Select the link below to view Council Tax FAQs.