Discounts and reductions

Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions

There are circumstances in which you may be entitled to a discount or exemption on the amount of Council Tax due. Discounts may be available if you are the only adult aged 18 or over in the property. Also, some people are not counted when deciding how many adults are resident in a property. If you think you may be eligible for a discount please got to Manage your Council Tax online, or alternatively, you can select the appropriate form from the 'Documents' section below. 

  • single occupancy discount 
  • Apprentices 
  • Paid and unpaid care workers 
  • Residents who are in receipt of Child Benefit 
  • Full time students 
  • People who are resident in hospital or care/nursing home 
  • Mentally impaired and receiving benefit 


There are some circumstances when a property may be exempt from Council Tax. Please select the appropriate application form from the list on the right:

  • The property is unoccupied and unfurnished for up to six months 
  • The property is incapable of being lived in because it is being structurally repaired, improved or reconstructed (up to 12 months from the date property last occupied) 
  • All the residents are full time students or under the age of 18 

Council Tax Reduction

For information on Council Tax Reduction or to make an application please see our Benefits page.