Subject Access request

Under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), individuals have the right to find out and obtain copies of the personal information held about them by the Council. This request is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).
Individuals have the right to request:
  • Confirmation that the personal  data is held by the Council
  • The categories of the personal data
  • A copy of the personal data 
  • Details on why it is being used
  • Who it has been/ will be shared with
  • How long it will be held for
  • The source of the personal data
  • Details of the rights to rectification, erasure and objection
  • Details if the Council uses computer systems to make judgements or take decisions about  the individual
  • An electronic copy of the  personal data
  • The right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office
The Council is obliged to respond to such requests within one month.
In some circumstances access may not be allowed to  information where::
  • It would be likely to affect personal information about other individuals
  • It would prejudice the prevention and detection of crime or apprehension or prosecution of offenders
  • The personal information is already available, for example through public registers
  • It relates to confidential references given by the Council
  • It is personal information that would prejudice negotiations
  • The information is an examination script 
  • The personal information is subject to legal professional privilege
  • It is personal information which Social Work or Education professions consider would be significantly harmful to release
If you would like to make a Subject Access Request, please complete the Subject Access Request form and return it to the Council.
Council's Subject Access Request form, which is one of the attachments.

Requests by individuals who were in local authority care

The Council is determined to ensure that any of its former residents seeking access to their records are given support. We are committed to engaging openly and providing appropriate support to those seeking information about their childhood care experiences.
Should you require information from your time in care, you may choose to have the support of:
  • Your own social worker
  • A nominated social worker
  • Additional direct support from the child care and placement team
  • Support from an independent agency