Privacy Notice - Scottish Milk and Health Snack Scheme (SMHSS)

Privacy Notice

Who will process the information?

The personal information provided in the Scottish Milk and Healthy Snack Scheme (“SMHSS”) - Monitoring and Registration (the “Personal Information”) will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council 12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ (the “Council”).

You can contact the Council on:
0300 123 4510

Why it will be processed?

The Personal Information will be used to:

  • Register your setting with the Scottish Milk and Health Snack Scheme (SMHSS) in order to form a contract with EDC.
  • Calculate any award entitlement and make payment to your nominated bank account.

We may also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by post, email or telephone and to maintain our records.

Who will have access to the Personal Information?

Your data will be accessed by appropriate central admin staff in order to process your registration, claim and payments and to:

  • check the information we hold is accurate;
  • prevent and / or detect crime; and
  • protect public funds. 

Other organisations may include the requested early learning and childcare centre, bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, other councils, public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies, bodies carrying out data matching exercises and other private companies or entities (such as service providers/contractors to the Council and/or partner bodies). 

We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.

What is the lawful basis for the Council to process the Personal Information?

  • The processing is necessary for the performance of a contract
  • The Council’s legal obligations under the following legislation:

The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (to ensure proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs) (including the detection and/or prevention of fraud)

Do I have to provide the Personal Information?

You do not have to provide the Personal Information to us. Without the correct information however we will not be able to process the SMHSS registration and we will be therefore unable to provide funding.

How long will you keep the Personal Information?

East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council on Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the amount of time the Council keeps information.  Further information on these can be found on the Scottish Archives website [opens in a new window]

If you are searching SCARRS the Reference which covers the Personal Information for this purpose is:  12.004.007. We will retain your information for the current financial year plus 6 years. 

What are my rights?

  • Right of Access – you have the right to access the personal information we hold about you.  This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.  You can receive a copy of your personal data held by us, details on why it is being used, who it has been / will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if we use computer systems profile or take decisions about you.  Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request can be found on the Subject Access Request page [opens in a new window].
  • Right to Rectification of Personal Data - You have the right to request that we correct any personal data held about you that is inaccurate.
  • Right to Erasure of Personal Data - You have the right to request that we delete personal data about you. This is known as the right to be forgotten.  You can request erasure of personal data in certain circumstances for example: i) the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected; ii) it is  being processed unlawfully; iii) the personal data has to be erased due to a legal obligation we are subject to.
  • Right to Restrict Processing - You have the right to request that we restrict processing your personal data if: i) you think the personal data is inaccurate; ii) the processing is unlawful; iii) we no longer need the personal data but you may need it for legal purposes; or iii) you object to us processing for the performance of a public interest task or the official authority vested in us.

Who do I contact if I have any concerns and / or complaints?

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way we have processed Your Information. Details on how to report a concern can be found on the Information Commissioner's Office website [opens in a new window]. 

Should you have any questions or concerns about our handling of Your Information you can contact Our Data Protection Officer:
Karen Donnelly
Data Protection Officer
East Dunbartonshire Council
12 Strathkelvin Place
G66 1TJ
Tel: 0300 123 4510