Privacy Notice - Major Asset Projects General Enquires

Privacy Notice

Who will process Your Information?

The personal data you provide to us as part of your enquiry (“Your Information”) will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council 12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ for the purposes of investigating and resolving your enquiry.

You can contact the Council on 0300 123 4510 or

The Council’s Data Protection Officer is Karen Donnelly who can be contacted on the below noted details:

12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ


Tel: 0300 123 4510

Why will Your Information be processed?

Your information will be processed for order to investigate the subject matter of your enquiry and provide a resolution as part of carrying out the Council’s duty in delivering major capital projects in a transparent and auditable manner. The personal data we collect and store is limited to a first name, last name, address, email, and phone number.

Your Information may be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council for the purposes of ensuring your enquiry is addressed.

In the usual course of carrying out the Council’s duties in delivering major capital projects, we use third party organisations to support the Council in undertaking a range of activities, including design services, site construction, project management, project accounting and professional services. Where a third party organisation is used, and if relevant, your information may be shared for the purposes of ensuring your enquiry is addressed. We ensure that they operate under contractual restrictions with regards to confidentiality, in addition to their obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation.

Your Information may also be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council or other organisations for the same purpose and also to:

  • check the information we hold is accurate;
  • prevent and/or detect crime; and
  • protect public funds.

Other organisations may include bodies responsible for auditing or administering  public funds, public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies.

What is the legal basis for us to process Your Information?

The legal basis for the processing of your personal data is:

  • the exercise of the official authority vested in the Council under The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (section 88)
  • the Council’s legal obligations under:
  • The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (to ensure proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs (including the detection and/or prevention of fraud) (and providing such information as necessary to the Accounts Commission)).

Do I have to provide my information?

Contacting the council for the purposes of resolving an enquiry is entirely voluntary.

Without the correct information however we may not be able to resolve your enquiry.

How long will you keep my Information?

East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council of Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the amount of time the Council keeps Your Information. Further information on these can be found on the Scottish Archives website [opens in a new window].

 If you are searching SCARRS the Reference which covers Your Information is: 20.004.001

We will hold Your Information from the last action in respect of your enquiry for a period of 1 year. Your information will be retained for the minimum period necessary. Your Information will be destroyed under confidential conditions after this period.

Who will we share Your Information with?

Your Information will be accessed by Council employees who need to do so to administer and resolve your enquiry.

The Council is also required to ensure proper administration of its funds so details will be checked internally for fraud prevention and verification purposes. Information is also analysed internally in order to provide management information, inform service delivery reform and similar purposes.

Your Information may also be shared with other departments within the Council, bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds,public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies and other private companies or entities (such as Council service providers/contractors and/or partner bodies to whom the enquiry may relate).

Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Access Personal Data Held About You;

You have the right to access the personal data the Council holds about you. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.

You can receive a copy of your personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been/ will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if the Council uses computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request can be found on the Subject Access Request page.

  • Rectification of  Personal Data;

You have the right to request the Council correct any personal data held about you that is inaccurate.

  • Erasure of Personal Data

You have the right to request that the Council deletes personal data about you. This is known as the right to be forgotten.

You can request erasure of personal data in certain circumstances for example: i) the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected; ii) it is  being processed unlawfully; iii) the personal data has to be erased due to a legal obligation the Council is subject to.

  • Restrict Processing

You have the right to request that the Council restrict processing your personal data if: i) you think the personal data is inaccurate; ii) the processing is unlawful; iii) the Council no longer need the personal data but you may need it for legal purposes; or iii) you object to the Council processing for the performance of a public interest task or the official authority vested in the Council.

  • To Object

You have the right to object to the Council’s use of your personal data. The Council will have to demonstrate why it is appropriate to continue to use your personal data.


If you are unhappy with the way East Dunbartonshire Council has processed Your Information you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office:

Head Office Address:  Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Tel: 0303 123 1113

Regional Scottish Office Address: 45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL

Tel: 0303 123 1115


You should however raise any issues regarding Your Information with the Council’s Data Protection Officer in the first instance.

The Council do not use profiling or automated decision-making processes for dealing with enquiries. Some processes are semi-automated (such as the data matching as set out above) but a human decision maker will always be involved before any decision is reached in relation to you.