Privacy Notice - Land Planning Policy (Planning) - Privacy Notice

Privacy notice

Who will process your personal information?

The personal information you provide to us or we collect about you (your personal information) will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council.

Why will your information be processed?

The Council has a duty to obtain the views and opinions of individuals and ensure that the public has an active role in Planning policy

Who will have access to your personal information?

Where necessary the Council may share information with third parties working for or acting on behalf of the Council, such as the Scottish Government for processes including the Local Development Plan Examination or consultants undertaking consultation on behalf of the Council. The sharing of personal information is required to ensure that representations have been properly considered across the stages of plan preparation. In the case of consultants, the Council will only share information if the contract requires consultation to be undertaken and the Council is aware of individual or groups who would be interested in or affected by the topic of consideration. In such circumstances consent will be sought prior to sharing information with third parties.

This personal information may also be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council, the Council’s committees and/or boards, local Councillors where necessary as described above or other organisations for the same purpose and also to:-

  • check the information we hold is accurate;
  • prevent and/or detect crime; and
  • protect public funds.

What is the Council’s legal basis to use your personal information?

The Town and Country Planning Act (Scotland) 1997 as amended by The Planning etc. (Scotland) Act 2006 - requires East Dunbartonshire Council to produce a local development plan every 5 years. The Local Development Plan sets out the Council’s policies and proposals relating to development and use of the land. The preparation and production of the local development plan together with any associated guidance and documents are prepared in accordance with the acts. The act requires East Dunbartonshire Council to take account of all representations made to them in the preparation of the local development plan or associated documentation. These records are also used as evidence to inform the preparation of the council’s Local Development Plan and associated documents.

Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 - Community Planning is a process which helps public agencies to work together and with the community to plan and deliver better services. These authorities form a Community Planning Partnership (CPP) for each local authority area.

The CPP must prepare and publish a Local Outcomes Improvement Plan (LOIP) which sets out the local outcomes which the CPP will prioritise for improvement. The East Dunbartonshire Local Outcome Improvement Plan has 6 outcomes which require policy documents to be prepared and associated actions (which may include preparation of supporting documents) of respective partners. The Act requires East Dunbartonshire Council to take account of all representations and community involvement made to them in the preparation and production of all documentation.

The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (to ensure proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs (including the detection and/or prevention of fraud) (and providing such information as necessary to the Accounts Commission);

How long will your personal information be held for?

Retention Schedule

All personal data will be retained in accordance with the Scottish Council on Archives Records Retention Schedule as detailed below


Type of correspondence

Description/ Example of record type

Retention Period



Comments and enquiries - case files

Records documenting the processing of customer comments and enquiries about the Council including responses

1 year following last action on comments


Business community consultation


5 years following completion of consultation


Business community survey


5 years following completion of survey


Records documenting the development, progress and outcomes of a regeneration project.


10 years following completion of project


Policy consultation - major policies

The process of consulting the public and staff in the development of significant policies of the local authority

5 years following completion of consultation


Policy consultation - minor policies

The process of consulting the public and staff in the development of minor policies of the local authority

1 year following completion of consultation


What rights do you have over your personal information?

  • Right of Access

You have the right to access the personal information the Council holds about you. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.

You can receive a copy of your personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been/ will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if the Council uses computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request [opens in a new window].

  • Right to rectification

You have the right to request the Council correct any information held about you that is inaccurate.

  • Right to erasure

You have the right to request that the Council delete the personal information about you. This right is known as the right to be forgotten.

  • Right to restrict processing

You have the right to request that the Council stops using


Who to contact if you have any complaints or concerns about how your personal information has been handled?

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way the Council has processed your personal data. Details on how to report a concern can be found on the Information Commissioner's Office website [opens in a new window].

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number
Fax: 01625 524 510

Should you have any questions or concerns about the Council’s handling of your personal data, you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer who will be happy to discuss these with you.

Karen Donnelly
12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ

Tel: 0300 123 4510