Privacy Notice - Educational Psychology Service

Privacy Notice

Who will process the personal information?

The personal information provided in this form (“Personal Data”) will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council 12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ.

You can contact the Council on:

Tel: 0300 123 4510


Why it will be processed

The Personal Data will be used to provide the person referred to us with an educational psychology service. This may include information such as observations, consultations, assessments and interventions carried out in relation to the person.

Who will have access to the Personal Data?

The Personal Data will be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council and other organisations for purpose of providing an educational psychology service.

We will only share information with other departments within the Council, such as Education and Social Work, where this is necessary to allow us to provide an educational psychology service.

If asked to share data, Educational Psychologists will use their professional judgement to identify which information is appropriate and necessary to share with the other professionals involved, in order to inform decision-making and assessment.

Other organisations may include the Scottish Children’s Reporter’s Administration under statutory duties set out in the Social Work (Scotland) Act, 1968 and Greater Glasgow and Clyde NHS under responsibilities set out in the Children and Young Peoples (Scotland) Act 2014 (GIRFEC Initiative)

We will only share information with an outside body if you are currently or if you become involved with these services. 

What is the lawful basis for the Council to process my information?

The use of the Personal Data is necessary: for the Council to comply with its legal obligations under the following legislation:-Education (Scotland) Act 1980 (duty of education authorities to provide educational psychology services)

Do I have to provide the Personal Data?

You do not have to provide the Personal Data to us. Without the correct information however we will not be able to provide the educational psychology service which you / your child or young person are entitled to.

How long will you keep my information?

East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council on Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the amount of time the Council keeps information.

If you are searching SCARRS the Reference relevant to your Personal Data is: 10.006.004 (Education Psychology Files)

We will hold the Personal Data from the date of last action on the educational psychology files or when the student reaches 25 years of age (whichever is later) for a period until the student reaches 25 years old. The Personal Data will be retained for the minimum period necessary. The Personal Data will then be destroyed after this period.

For children and young people who are currently or have been Looked After and Accommodated by a local authority, files will be kept indefinitely in line with the requirements and recommendations of the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry (SCAI).

What are my rights?

  • Right of Access – you have the right to access the personal information we hold about you.  This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.  You can receive a copy of your personal data held by us, details on why it is being used, who it has been / will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if we use computer systems profile to take decisions about you.  Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request.
  • Right to Rectification of Personal Data - You have the right to request that we correct any personal data held about you that is inaccurate.
  • Right to Erasure of Personal Data - You have the right to request that we delete personal data about you. This is known as the right to be forgotten.  You can request erasure of personal data in certain circumstances for example: i) the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected; ii) it is  being processed unlawfully; iii) the personal data has to be erased due to a legal obligation we are subject to.
  • Right to Restrict Processing - You have the right to request that we restrict processing your personal data if: i) you think the personal data is inaccurate; ii) the processing is unlawful; iii) we no longer need the personal data but you may need it for legal purposes; or iii) you object to us processing for the performance of a public interest task or the official authority vested in us.

Who do I contact if I have any concerns and / or complaints?

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way we have processed the Personal Data. Details on how to report a concern.

Should you have any questions or concerns about our handling of the Personal Data Can you can contact Our Data Protection Officer:

Karen Donnelly
Data Protection Officer
East Dunbartonshire Council
12 Strathkelvin Place
G66 1TJ

Tel:  0300 123 4510