Privacy Notice - Education -Funded entitlement for all eligible 2-year-olds

Privacy Notice

Why it will be processed?

Your personal information and that of your child will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council 12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ.. East Dunbartonshire Council is a local authority established under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994

You can contact the Council on: 0300 123 4510

The Council provides funding for children aged 2 who qualify for an early learning and childcare placement and meet qualifying criteria. Your Personal information which is shared by The Scottish Government will allow us to contact you to let you know you about your child’s eligibility and outline how to apply.

Who will have access to the Personal information?

The Scottish Government receive the ‘minimum; Personal data from The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and HMRC of eligible households, in receipt of qualifying benefits. Your Personal Information is shared with the Council. This is done via the Improvement Service Company who will transfer your Personal Information from the Scottish Government to the Council through a secure digital platform (‘datapipeline,scot ‘)

Your personal information may be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council and other organisations for purpose of advising you of your child's eligibility for an early years funded placement and also to check the information we hold is accurate; prevent and / or detect crime; and protect public funds.

We will only share information with other departments within the Council where this is necessary and in line with all relevant laws.

Other organisations may include the Improvement Service Company, bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, other councils, public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies, bodies carrying out data matching exercises and other private companies or entities (such as service providers/contractors to the Council and/or partner bodies.)

What is the lawful basis for the Council to process the Personal Information?

The use of the Personal Information is necessary for the Council to comply with its legal obligations under the below noted legislation.  It is also necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest by the Council.: Providing Early Learning and Childcare is part of the Council’s duty as an education authority and ensuring you are aware of your child’s entitlement to a funded placement at an early learning or nursery establishment is part of our public task. 

  • The Education (Scotland) Act 1980
  • The Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014.
  • The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (to ensure proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs (including the detection and/or prevention of fraud) (and providing such information as necessary to the Accounts Commission);
  • the Public Finance and Accountability (Scotland) Act 2000 (disclosure of data to Audit Scotland for data matching)

Digital Economy Act 2017 and Digital Government (Disclosure of Information) Regulations 2018

How long will you keep the Personal Information?

The Personal Information will be kept on the Council systems for no more than 18 months.

What are my rights?

  • Right of Access – you have the right to access the personal information the Council holds about you.  This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.  You can receive a copy of your personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been / will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if we use computer systems profile or take decisions about you.  Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request.
  • Right to Rectification of Personal Data - You have the right to request that the Council correct any personal information held about you that is inaccurate.
  • Right to Erasure of Personal Data - You have the right to request that the Council delete personal information about you. This is known as the right to be forgotten.  You can request erasure of personal information in certain circumstances for example: i) the personal information is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected; ii) it is being processed unlawfully; iii) the personal information has to be erased due to a legal obligation the Council is subject to.
  • Right to Restrict Processing - You have the right to request that the Council restrict processing your personal information if: i) you think the personal information is inaccurate; ii) the processing is unlawful; iii) the Council no longer need the personal information but you may need it for legal purposes; or iii) you object to the Council  processing for the performance of a public interest task or the official authority vested in us.
  • Right to object - You have the right to object to the Council’s use of your persona information. The Council will have to demonstrate to you why it is appropriate to continue to use the personal information. You have the right to object to the Council contacting you to offer goods or services.

Who do I contact if I have any concerns and / or complaints?

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way the Council has processed Your Information. Details on how to report a concern are available here: .

Should you have any questions or concerns about our handling of Your Information you can contact Our Data Protection Officer:

Karen Donnelly
Data Protection Officer
East Dunbartonshire Council
12 Strathkelvin Place
G66 1TJ
Tel: 0300 123 4510