Privacy Notice - Education and Youth Services

Privacy Notice

Who will process the personal information?

The personal information provided will be used by East Dunbartonshire Council under the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).  

What will the personal information be used for?

The personal information will be used by the Council to provide the identified young person with education, social and leisure activities. The personal information will be used to:-

  • support young people’s learning;
  • monitor and report on young people’s attainment and achievement;
  • provide appropriate pastoral care to support health and wellbeing; and
  • assure the quality of our education services in line with national expectations from Education Scotland.

What is the Council’s lawful basis for using the personal information?

The Council has a legal obligation to ensure that there is an adequate and efficient school, further education and youth services within East Dunbartonshire. If you do not provide us with the personal information we have asked for then the Council will not be able to provide these services.

This legal obligation is set out under:-

  • Education (Scotland) Act 1980
  • Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014
  • Requirements for Community Learning and Development (Scotland) Regulations 2013 (“the CLD Regulations”),

When necessary to support the young persons access to education and meet this legal obligation, the personal information may be shared internally between departments of the Council. In particular personal information about pupils can be shared with Social Work and Educational Psychology in order to put in place support for learning.

To meet the requirements of the Education (Scotland) Act 1980, the personal information will also be shared with:-

  • SEEMIS, the Council’s Education Management Information System (MIS) provider. This sharing is required in order that the Council has a secure and effective way to record information about the Council’s pupils. 

  • Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA), to enable schools to process personal data for exams in S4 – S6.

  • Further Education (FE) Colleges, to enable placements at FE Colleges Senior Phase programme in S4 – S6 as part of the programme for vocational qualifications.

  • Health professionals where a pupil requires urgent medical attention, for example on a Council activity or excursion.

How long will the personal information be held for?

East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council on Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the length of time the Council keeps information. There are a number of schedules that cover the retention of educational records.

For example:-

  • 10.002.003 Admission forms Retention for 1 year

  • 10.002.007 Attendance records Retention for 4 years

  • 10.002.008 Exclusion records Retention for 7 years

  • 10.002.014 Pupil Progress Report Retention for 5 years 

Full details about the retention schedules for education.

What rights do you have over the personal information?

  • Right of Access

Individuals have the right to access the personal information the Council holds about them. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.

Individuals can receive a copy of the personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been/ will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if the Council uses computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request.

  • Right to rectification

Individuals have the right to request the Council correct any information held about them that is inaccurate.

  • Right to erasure

Individuals have the right to request that the Council delete the personal information about them. This right is known as the right to be forgotten.

  • Right to restrict processing

Individuals have the right to request that the Council stops using personal information, while retaining a copy of it.

Details on how to complain to the ICO

We aim to directly resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at:  Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit the Information Commissioner's Office website.

Details on how to contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer

Karen Donnelly
Data Protection Officer
East Dunbartonshire Council
12 Strathkelvin Place
G66 1TJ

Tel: 0300 123 4510