Privacy Notice - Development Applications – Planning, Land Planning & Development Service

Privacy Notice

Who will process your personal Data?

The personal information you provide to us through any of our forms relating to planning or related applications, in any correspondence and any other personal information we hold about you or we collect about you (your personal information) will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council

Why will your information be processed?

Your information is processed to help us to consider, administer and decide (where relevant) the application, enforcement case, enquiry or related appeal or review. Your information may also be shared with other departments within the council and other organisations for the same purposes and also to:

  • to fulfil your request for information or services
  • check that the information we have is accurate
  • prevent and/or detect crime
  • as input to improving our site
  • as part of the process of consultation

Who will have access to your personal information?

This personal information may also be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council, the Council’s committees and/or boards, local councillors in the area of the application or other organisations for the same purpose and also to:-

  • check the information we hold is accurate;
  • prevent and/or detect crime; and
  • protect public funds.

Other Council departments which are consulted in respect of planning, building standard and property matters: Neighbourhood Service, Protective Services, Legal Services, Housing, Education.

The Planning Application and supporting documents may be viewed by members of the public at our offices, as required in terms of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997 (as amended) and supporting regulations.

The information which has been provided on the Planning Application Form and the supporting documents is published on our website for the purpose of viewing applications, advertising weekly planning lists, and other information.

Other organisations may include bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies including Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Scottish Natural Heritage, Historic Environment Scotland, Scottish Water, SEPA, Transport Scotland and private contractors used by the Council.

We will not pass your personal information to external organisations for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use.

What is the Council’s legal basis to use your personal information?

The Council processes your information in order to meet legal obligations and perform tasks carried out in the public interest under relevant legislation under which your application is submitted.

The Council acts under the following legislation:-

  • The Town and Country Planning Act (Scotland) 1997 as amended by The Planning etc. (Scotland) Act 2006
  • Building (Scotland) Act 2003
  • The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (to ensure proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs (including the detection and/or prevention of fraud) (and providing such information as necessary to the Accounts Commission);

How long will your personal information be held for?

Retention Schedule

East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council on Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the amount of time the Council keeps information.

What rights do you have over your personal information?

Right of Access

You have the right to access the personal information the Council holds about you. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.

You can receive a copy of your personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been/ will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if the Council uses computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request.

  • Right to rectification
    You have the right to request the Council correct any information held about you that is inaccurate.
  • Right to erasure
    You have the right to request that the Council delete the personal information about you. This right is known as the right to be forgotten.
  • Right to restrict processing
    You have the right to request that the Council stops using your personal information, while retaining a copy of it.
  • Right to object
    You have the right to object to the Council’s use of your personal data. The Council will have to demonstrate to you why it is appropriate to continue to use the personal data. You have the right to object to the Council contacting you to offer goods or services

Who to contact if you have any complaints or concerns about how your personal information has been handled?

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way the Council has processed your personal data. Details on how to report a concern.

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number Fax: 01625 524 510

Should you have any questions or concerns about the Council’s handling of your personal data, you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer who will be happy to discuss these with you.

Karen Donnelly
12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ

Tel: 0300 123 4510