Privacy Notice - Corporate Fraud

Privacy Notice

Who will process Your Information?

The personal information you provide on this form will be used by East Dunbartonshire Council for the purpose of administering

  • all law enforcement, regulation and licensing, criminal, civil or internal enquiries and  proceedings which the Council may undertake or participate in
  • all financial transactions to and from the Council including payments, grants and benefits. Where monies are due or outstanding the Council reserves the right to use all the available information at its disposal to protect public funds.

This personal information may also be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council, the Council committee’s and/or boards, local councillors in the area of the application or other organisations for the same purpose and also to:

  • check the information we hold is accurate;
  • prevent and/or detect crime; and
  • protect public funds.

Other organisations may include bodies responsible for auditing or administering  public funds, other councils, public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies, including Police Scotland, and other private companies or entities (such as credit reference agencies, service providers/contractors and/or partner bodies). 

What is the legal basis for us to process Your Information?

The legal basis for processing your personal information is:

  • The Council’s legal obligations under the following legislation:
  • the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (to ensure proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs) (including the detection and/or prevention of fraud)
  • the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (furnishing of information and documents to the Commission)
  • the Public Finance and Accountability (Scotland) Act 2000 (disclosure of data to Audit Scotland for data matching)
  • the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998 (right not to suffer detriment)
  • Bribery Act 2010
  • The official authority vested in the Council pursuant to:
  • the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (arrangement for discharge of functions by local authorities)
  • The following tasks carried out in the public interest:
  • the Council has a responsibility to promote social wellbeing and to work with other Councils and partner agencies such as the Police, Fire and Rescue Service, the voluntary services and the Health Service in order to preserve life, reduce accidents, reduce crime and disorder and improve health. To promote this social wellbeing the Council may need to share your personal and sensitive information with other Councils and partner agencies.
  • the sharing of special category personal data where your consent has not been directly secured will only occur in order to promote community wellbeing for example in saving life, reducing crime, reducing accidents and improving health and will be on a “need to know” basis.

Do I have to provide my information?

East Dunbartonshire Council will be able to process this form if you choose to remain anonymous. You are not required to provide your details but it would be beneficial if you did in order that

  • Investigating officers can ask you any follow up questions that maybe beneficial to the investigation
  • The safeguards available to Whistleblowers in the provision of the  Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998 can be applied 

If you’ve been identified as a potential witness, which Investigating Officers will advise you of, we are required to obtain personal details under Part 6 of the Criminal Justice & Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010.

 How long will you keep my Information?

East Dunbartonshire Council manage the amount of time the Council keeps information based on guidelines from the Scottish Council on Archives Records.

The information you have provided will have to be assessed to establish how long it is held for. The normal retention period is 6 years, from the completion of any proceedings, but this can be increased to 12 years, depending on the seriousness.  In some instances of serious unresolved cases the information can be kept on a permanent basis. 

Right of Access

You have the right to access the personal information the Council holds about you. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.

You can receive a copy of your personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been/will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if the Council uses computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request can be found on the Subject Access Request page [opens in a new window].

Right to rectification

You have the right to request the Council correct any information held about you that is inaccurate.

Right to erasure

You have the right to request that the Council delete the personal information about you. This right is known as the right to be forgotten.

Right to restrict processing

You have the right to request that the Council stops using your personal information, while retaining a copy of it.

Right to Object

You have the right to object to the Council’s use of your personal information. The Council will have to demonstrate why it is appropriate to continue to use your personal data.

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way the Council has processed your personal data. Details on how to report a concern can be found on the Information Commissioner's Office website [opens in a new window].

Should you have any questions or concerns about the Council’s handling of your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer, Karen Donnelly, using the below noted details, who will be happy to discuss.

Telephone Number: 03001234510


Address: 12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ