Council commitment to Refugees

The Council has agreed to support refugees from any global humanitarian crisis. It has agreed to provide housing for up to four families and to also co-ordinate and provide all the wrap-around services needed to support refugees to resettle in this area. This support will include community services, ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and employability and education. Support with social work and health will be provided through the HSCP in a multi-agency response.

You can read the Council’s commitment to refugees in the following news releases:

News release: Commitment to Afghan Refugee programme (1 October 2021)
News release: Council support for Ukraine (1 March 2022)
News release: Council extends commitment to all humanitarian crises (1 April 2022) 

Homes for Ukraine

Anyone locally who has registered their home under the Homes for Ukrainians initiative can contact the Council by either telephone or email to discuss the steps that need to be carried out before refugees arrive.

If you are an East Dunbartonshire Council tenant, and you wish to provide accommodation you will need permission from us (as a landlord) to host a bedroom. Requests should be made in writing and can be submitted the following ways:
Using the online Permission to reside form
By post to:

William Patrick Library
2-4 West High Street
G66 1AD

Please ensure the application states it is for the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.
The Council team that is supporting refugees can also provide information on the multi-agency wrap around support that needs to be provided in addition to accommodation.
If you telephone, our Customer Service Agents will record your contact details and arrange for one of the team supporting refugees to call you back.

If you email us, your email will be responded to by the team supporting refugees in East Dunbartonshire.

Phone: 0300 123 4510

Anyone interested in registering their home with the Homes for Ukraine scheme should visit the Home Owners Alliance Homes for Ukraine web page.

Support for Refugees

The Council will seek to help the people of Ukraine through the Scottish Government and UK Government refugee schemes. 

For those in our communities who also wish to provide support, donating to one of charities and aid agencies providing emergency response is the best way. The Disaster Emergencies Committee (DEC) in the UK is a partnership of 15 established charities delivering humanitarian support on the ground. Donations can be made to their Ukraine humanitarian appeal on the DEC website.