Use, Lease or Buy
Welcome to the community asset transfer page where you can apply to use, lease or buy Council land or buildings. The following sections include a list of Council assets and forms for applying to secure these. We advise you to contact the Council before completing the full application form as we can provide relevant information on the asset. You can do this by emailing us at email@example.com or by completing an Expression of Interest form.
You will be required to consider environmental and equality impacts from your Asset Transfer request.
If you require support with this please contact:
Sustainability Policy Team. Sustainability@eastdunbarton.gov.uk
Equalities Team firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Asset Transfer
Registered Community Transfer Bodies can now make applications to public authorities to acquire land and property which is not listed for sale. This is outlined in part five of the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015
In deciding requests the council would consider a range of factors:
- the reasons for the request
- supporting information
Whether agreeing the request would be likely to help or improve:
- economic development
- public health
- social wellbeing
- environmental wellbeing
- whether agreeing the request would be likely to reduce inequalities
- any other benefits
- the benefits of any alternative proposal
- other matters that the Council considers appropriate
Community Transfer Bodies
To make an asset transfer request, an organisation needs to be a CTB (community transfer body). This is defined in section 77 of the Act. It can be either a community controlled body or a body designated by the Scottish Ministers. To qualify as a community controlled body, the body‘s constitution, Articles of Association or registered rules must include the following:
- A definition of the community to which the body relates. The group may represent the community in a particular area or people who have a common interest or characteristic. The definition should be clear enough to show whether a person is a member of the community or not.
- provision that membership of the body is open to any member of that community
You can find out more by reading the Scottish Government Guidance on Asset Transfer for Community Transfer Bodies
An asset transfer means a lot of commitment and may be expensive / incur costs of various professionals. Those interested will need to demonstrate organisational capacity in order to maintain and develop any assets long-term alongside independent access to funds to acquire and manage any assets. There are a range of bodies that can support you with asset transfer – these are outlined in our policy and guidance documents.
The Council list of assets, it is advised that you get in touch with us before you make an application as we will have information about the asset that will be of benefit to your proposal. It is also advised that you:
- Consult with the community that they support your application
- Research similar projects that could either support or compete with your initiative
- Identify potential partners, and stakeholders including funding opportunities
- Involve current and prospective funders early in the process. Engage with them to gain their views, as well as keeping them informed
- Keep your community informed about your proposal and its progression
The first stage is to submit and Expression of Interest form and you can do this online or you can download and send to us.
Stage 1 - Community Asset Transfer Expression of Interest form
A full Community Asset Transfer (CAT) application form (and potentially business plan) is still required further to submitting this expression of interest form – it is the full CAT application form that is a valid request meaning we have to respond to you with our decision within six months.
Stage 2 - Community Asset Transfer Application including Equality Impact Assessment and Environmental Screening
Stage 3 - Optional Business Plan Form
Forms can be submitted online or can be downloaded and emailed to AssetTransfer@eastdunbarton.gov.uk
Alternatively you can phone us on 0300 123 4510 to request an Expression of Interest or Asset Transfer Request Form for return to us at the following address:
Asset Transfer Team
Place, Neighbourhood and Corporate Assets
East Dunbartonshire Council
Southbank Business Park