This project element of the Council’s City Deal Place and Growth Programme includes the delivery of the Westerhill Development Road (formerly known as Phase 5 of the Bishopbriggs Relief Road) to complete the route through East Dunbartonshire and Glasgow north, improving connectivity and unlocking strategic development sites to enable follow on investment.
The delivery of the Westerhill Development Road (WDR) will:
- Remove non-essential traffic from travelling through Bishopbriggs
- Alleviate issues in relation to the Air Quality Management on A803.
- Enable A803 corridor improvements.
- Enable a well-connected workforce within East Dunbartonshire and wider city region.
- Promote improved road infrastructure coupled with sustainable travel options in and out of East Dunbartonshire, particularly for commuting journeys.
- Help enable development of derelict/vacant land to ensure there is space for local companies to grow, to attract other high quality businesses and reduce barriers to jobs locally.
The final route of the relief road is yet to be determined. Development of potential routes for the WDR will be aided by the creation of a Masterplan and Environmental Report for the Westerhill Area. Both the Masterplan and the Environmental Report will be developed in tandem and will play a crucial part in identifying the potential of this area to contribute to the economic regeneration of Bishopbriggs.
There are a number of options for a new stretch of road starting from Lochgrog Roundabout (Phase 4 of Bishopbriggs Relief Road) and tying in with the A803. An upgrade to Torrance Roundabout is also proposed as part of these options.
Consultation was on options for the new Westerhill Development Road between 29 May and 22 June 2023.