Privacy Notice - Waste Services - Waste Collection Assistance

Privacy Statement

Who will process Your Information?

The personal data you provide to us through any of our forms relating to waste collection assistance and also any personal data we collect about you (“Your Information”) will be processed by East Dunbartonshire Council 12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ for the administration of waste collection assistance and any waste services you are entitled to.

You can contact the Council on 0300 123 4510 or

The Council’s Data Protection Officer is Karen Donnelly who can be contacted on the below noted details:

12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ


Tel: 0300 123 4510

Why will Your Information be processed?

Your Information will be processed to help provide assistance with your waste collection as part of the Councils waste assistance service.

Your Information may also be shared with other departments within East Dunbartonshire Council or other organisations for the same purposes and also to:

  • check the information we hold is accurate;
  • prevent and/or detect crime; and
  • protect public funds.

Other organisations may include bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, other Councils, public sector agencies, governmental departments, regulatory and law enforcement bodies including Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and other private companies or entities.

What is the legal basis for us to process Your Information?

The legal basis for processing Your Information is:

  • Our legal obligations under the following legislation:
    • The Environmental Protection Act 1990  
    • The Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012

Do I have to provide my information?

Without the correct information we will not be able to provide you with assistance with your waste collection, which you may be entitled to.

If we ask you to provide specific information it is in order to assess that you are entitled to the service requirements.

How do you collect information about me?

Some of the information East Dunbartonshire Council hold about you may come from third party sources.

For example,

  • community charges registration officers; and
  • housing bodies operating in the East Dunbartonshire area.

Such information includes: i) your name; and ii) dates of residence in a particular premises;

How long will you keep my Information?

East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council of Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the amount of time the Council keeps Your Information. Further information on these can be found on the Scottish Archives website [opens in a new window].

 If you are searching SCARRS the Reference which covers Your Information is: 26.004.008

We will hold Your Information from the end of the date of last action for a period of 2 years. Your information will be retained for the minimum period necessary. Your Information will be destroyed under confidential conditions after this period.

Who will we share Your Information with?

Your Information will be accessed by Council Staff who need to do so to administer and provide your waste collection assistance service.

The Council is also required to ensure proper administration of its funds so details will be checked internally for fraud prevention and verification purposes. Information is also analysed internally in order to provide management information, inform service delivery reform and similar purposes.

Your Information may also be shared with other departments within the Council.

 The Council will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.

Will we transfer Your Information outside the UK?

In general we do not transfer personal data outside the UK and on the rare occasions when we do, we will inform you.

We will only transfer data outside the UK when we are satisfied that the party which will handle the data and the country it is being processed in will provide adequate safeguards for personal privacy.

Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Access Personal Data Held About You;

You have the right to access the personal data the Council holds about you. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR.

You can receive a copy of your personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been/ will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if the Council uses computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request can be found on the Subject Access Request page [opens in a new window].

  • Rectification of  Personal Data;

You have the right to request the Council correct any personal data held about you that is inaccurate.

  • Erasure of Personal Data

You have the right to request that the Council deletes personal data about you. This is known as the right to be forgotten.

You can request erasure of personal data in certain circumstances for example: i) the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected; ii) it is  being processed unlawfully; iii) the personal data has to be erased due to a legal obligation the Council is subject to.

  • Restrict Processing

You have the right to request that the Council restrict processing your personal data if: i) you think the personal data is inaccurate; ii) the processing is unlawful; iii) the Council no longer need the personal data but you may need it for legal purposes; or iii) you object to the Council processing for the performance of a public interest task or the official authority vested in the


If you are unhappy with the way East Dunbartonshire Council has processed Your Information you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office:

Head Office Address:  Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Tel: 0303 123 1113

Regional Scottish Office Address: 45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL

Tel: 0303 123 1115


You should however raise any issues regarding Your Information with the Council’s Data Protection Officer in the first instance.

The Council do not use profiling or automated decision-making processes for the administration of waste collection and waste services. Some processes are semi-automated but a human decision maker will always be involved before any decision is reached in relation to you.