Child Protection

If you believe that a child is at immediate risk of significant harm, please contact Police Scotland on 999.

You can also discuss concerns about a child by contacting:

East Dunbartonshire's Advice and Response Team

0141 777 3000

Out of hours Social Work Standby Service

0800 811 505


0800 1111

Scottish Children's Reporters Administration

0131 244 8201


0800 800 5000

Police Scotland


If you are a child

If you are worried about your own safety, or confused about what might be happening to you, you can talk to someone. If something is worrying you, or is making you scared, it's important to talk to someone you trust.

Children and young people can be hurt by an adult or another young person in many ways. You have a right to feel safe and be protected from harm.

There are some really helpful websites out there – Please check the “external links” on this page to check them out.

If you are a young person and you don't feel safe

 If you’re worried about your own, or someone else's safety, talk to someone you trust, such as a family member or a trusted adult.

You can also talk to a professional such as a social worker, teacher or GP. They will take what you have to say seriously and try to help. What you have to say matters and help is available.

For parents who are involved in the child protection process

If you and your child have recently been involved in a child protection investigation, you may be feeling worried or confused. The leaflets contained in the “documents” section on this page will give you more information.

If you are a professional who is worried about a child

While it is the responsibility of child protection agencies to investigate whether or not abuse has taken place, it is EVERYONE’S responsibility to report concerns about a child. Please refer to the leaflets in the “documents” section on this page for more details about what you should do.

What is child abuse?

Children can be abused in different ways. They can be physically injured, abused sexually or emotionally abused. Neglect is another form of abuse, where a child is not properly fed, clothed or sheltered or kept clean.

What signs might indicate that a child is being abused?

Children who have been abused rarely tell, but there are signs which may make you worry that a child has been abused. The child may have unexplained bruising, or bruising in an unusual place, seem afraid, quiet or withdrawn, be afraid to go home, or seem hungry, tired or unkempt. You may be concerned if a child is left alone or unsupervised, has too much responsibility for their age, is acting in a sexually inappropriate way or is misusing drugs or alcohol. You may also see behaviour in an adult which makes you worry about any children they care for. For example, an adult may be acting violently or sexually towards a child, misusing drugs or alcohol while caring for a child or be verbally abusive towards a child.  You should report this type of behaviour.

Who I should contact if I am concerned that a child is being abused or is at risk of abuse?

f you are worried about a child, you could contact a health visitor, teacher, nursery worker, family doctor, social worker, police officer or children's reporter. If you think a child is in immediate danger you should call the police.

What will happen to the child and their family if I report a concern?

When you contact a professional about your concern that a child is being abused, unless the child is in immediate danger, they will make some initial enquiries before taking action. They will check whether the child is known to agencies or services, and following enquiries, some of the outcomes may be: the provision of support, help or advice to the family; referral to another agency; immediate action to secure the safety of the child. Or, in some cases, no further action will be needed.

Child Protection Committee

Child Protection in East Dunbartonshire is the responsibility of the East Dunbartonshire Child Protection Committee (EDCPC). It brings together the main agencies for the provision of services to children and their families, so that through working together, it can plan effectively for the protection of children. Membership of the EDCPC includes representatives from:

• Social Work;
• Police;
• Health;
• Education;
• Housing;
• Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration (SCRA);
• Procurator Fiscal Department;
• Local Authority Legal Services;
• Voluntary organisations;
• Criminal Justice.