Customer complaints

Make a complaint

Occasionally things go wrong and if they do we want to know so we can put them right and make sure it doesn't happen again.  If something goes wrong or you are not happy with our services, please tell us.

How Do I Complain?

Who Can Complain?

You can make a complaint if you:

  • Use any of our services or feel you should be able to use our services
  • Are a carer, or you are acting on someone else's behalf

If you are making a complaint on behalf of someone, please ensure that you have their permission to make the complaint.

What is a Complaint and What Can I Complain About?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about an action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided. You can complain about:

  • Delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  • Failure to provide a service
  • Standard of service
  • Council policy
  • Treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
  • Our failure to follow proper procedure

Your complaint may involve more than one service or be about someone working on our behalf.

What Happens After I Have Complained

We aim to provide high quality customer services and to 'get it right first time' but if you are not happy with any of our services, a complaints' procedure is in place that puts you at the heart of the process.  Complaints enable us to learn from mistakes and improve the services we provide. 

We strive to resolve the majority of complaints simply and quickly and we have a two stage procedure:

Stage Description
Stage 1
(Frontline Resolution)
For straightforward and easily resolved issues.
Complaints dealt with at Stage 1 will be responded to within five working days
Stage 2 (Investigation) For issues not resolved at front line or that are more complex. 
Complaints dealt with at Stage 2 will be acknowledged within three working days and responded to within 20 working days.  If we require more time to respond, we will let you know of the reasons for the delay and agree a revised time scale. 

Once you have received our final decision, if you feel that your issues have not been resolved, you can contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) and request that your complaint be reviewed.  SPSO contact details will be provided with our final response to you.

Social Work Complaints

The legislation and guidance in relation to Social Work Complaints changed in April, 2017. There is now a separate Social Work Complaints Handling Procedure which is available on the Health & Social Care section of this website.