Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction: appeals

If you are unhappy with the decision we have made about your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you can ask us about it.

You will be sent a letter called a decision notice to advise you of the outcome of your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction application. This will contain a summary of the information used to calculate your claim.

You must check the details of this letter and contact us within one month of the date of the decision notice if you think the information is incorrect or incomplete.

You can ask us to:

  • Provide a more detailed explanation of how your Housing Benefit has been calculated - this is called a Statement of Reasons
  • Provide a more detailed explanation of how your Council Tax Reduction has been calculated - this is called a Internal Review
  • Look at your claim again - this is called a Reconsideration
  • Request a formal appeal

Further Review

Housing Benefit

If we cannot revise our decision in your favour we will send the details of your benefit's case to The Tribunals Service which is independent of the Council and will look at your claim.

Council Tax Reduction

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your Council Tax Reduction internal review, you can seek an independent ruling from the Council Tax Reduction Review Panel who will conduct a further review.

The Council Tax Reduction Review Panel is an independent body which is an addition to the Scottish Tribunals Service, providing an additional review service to safeguard individual’s rights to administrative justice when assessing an individual’s eligibility for Council Tax Reduction. They will consider the facts presented to them and give an independent ruling as to whether the decision made by your local authority is correct or not.

An application for further review should be made directly by the individual applicant or their representative in writing to the:

Council Tax Reduction Review Panel
Europa Building
450 Argyll Street
Glasgow G2 8LH

Tel: 0141 242 0141

Further information, including application forms, are available via the CTRRP website.

Any person affected can disagree with a decision. These include:

  • you (the person making the claim)
  • someone authorised to act on your behalf
  • your landlord or their agent - but only in matters relating to who we pay benefit to
  • anyone, including a landlord, we ask to pay back benefit we have overpaid.

Contact Details

East Dunbartonshire Council
Revenues and Benefits Team
Revenue Services
William Patrick Library
2/4 West High Street
G66 1AD

Opening times:
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Tel: 0800 901057