Privacy Notice – Homes for Ukraine (Displaced Ukrainian Person Programme)

Privacy Notice

Who will process your personal information?

The personal information you provide to East Dunbartonshire Council (“us” / “we”) or which we collect about you (“Your Information”) will be processed by us.

You can contact us at:

12 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1TJ

0300 123 4510

Email customer services

Why will your personal information be processed?

East Dunbartonshire Council will collect, use and be responsible for certain personal information given to us about you.  We will work with you as a either a host (sponsor) or guest (Displaced Person)  under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme. 

As a Local Authority we will provide vetting checks in person. Property checks, enhanced disclosure checks on hosts (sponsors) and later occasional welfare checks for both hosts (sponsors) and guests (Displaced Person).

As part of the Council’s work to support hosts (sponsors) and guests (arrivals from Ukraine) through the Homes for Ukraine and Super Sponsor Scheme, and our work to help local communities in their efforts to welcome and provide support for hosts and guests we are asking individuals to provide information, including personal data. 

We will process your personal information so we can carry out safeguarding checks, and provide on-going support, as part of our resettlement support. 

Your information is being collected to use for the following purposes:

  • To ensure you meet the requirement of the Homes for Ukraine Scheme
  • To ensure support is provided to hosts (sponsors) and guests (Displaced Person)
  • To ensure all requirements are in place for displaced persons arriving in East Dunbartonshire
  • To ensure that all relevant services are in contact with displaced persons
  • To ensure that the complex resettlement needs of displaced persons are met.

We will collect the following personal information when you provide it to us, or we receive from UK Government and/or Scottish Government. This will include:

  • Personal information e.g. name, address, date of birth, marital status
  • Contact details e.g. Email address, telephone number
  • Bank details
  • Name and age of other individuals living in the same household, and/or whom has access to the property.
  • We may also obtain some ‘special category data’ personal data which is more sensitive and is treated with additional care and protection, from yourself or the government.

Other information relating to criminal and safeguarding checks will also be collected by us or be provided by the Government.

Who will the information be shared with?

In addition to your information being used by East Dunbartonshire Council internal services, e.g. housing, community safety, revenue and benefits,  we may collect information from, or share it, with some of the following third parties

  • East Dunbartonshire Health and Social Care partnership
  • Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA)
  • Scottish Government
  • Department Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC )
  • Relevant service areas where necessary to progress with application checks
  • Relevant information to enable Disclosure Scotland to carry out an enhanced disclosure

What is the Council’s lawful basis for the use of your personal information?

The  Council’s legal obligations under the following legislation:

Section 20 - Local Government in Scotland Act 2003 (Power to Advance Wellbeing)

Section 12 - Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 (duty to give general social welfare services)

Section 22 - The Children (Scotland) Act 1995 (safeguard and promote the welfare of children who are in need)

Section 4 - Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 (protection of adults at risk)

How long will your information be retained for?

East Dunbartonshire Council uses the Scottish Council on Archives Records Retention Schedules to manage the amount of time the Council keeps information.

The information you have provided is classed as a legal and business requirements, and will be held in Resettlement Case files (02.001.001) and will be held r until our last interaction with you, after which this will be kept for 2 years or in the case of death 3 years, financial data for 7 years, communications contact data is reviewed annually, and you have

What rights do you have over the personal information you have provided?

  • Right of Access

You have the right to access the personal information the Council holds about you. This right is called a Subject Access Request, often referred to as a SAR. You can receive a copy of you personal data held by the Council, details on why it is being used, who it has been/ will be shared with, how long it will be held for, the source of the information and if the Council uses computer systems profile or take decisions about you. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request.

  • Right to rectification

    You have the right to request the Council correct any information held about you that is inaccurate.
  • Right to erasure

You have the right to request that the Council delete the personal information about you. This right is known as the right to be forgotten.

  • Right to restrict processing

You have the right to request that the Council stops using your personal information, while retaining a copy of it.

  • Right to data portability

You have the right to request that the Council give back to you a copy of the information you have given in a way that allows you to transfer it easily to another organisation

Who to contact should you have questions over the use of your personal information or should you wish to exercise your rights?

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office should you be unhappy with the way the Council has processed your personal data. Details on how to report a concern.

Should you have any questions or concerns about the Council’s handling of your personal data you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.

Karen Donnelly

Data Protection Officer

East Dunbartonshire Council

12 Strathkelvin Place
G66 1TJ

Tel: 0300 123 4510