The learning and achievements of 23 young people and learners in East Dunbartonshire were recognised at the Positive Achievements Winter Awards ceremony in Hillhead Community Centre, Kirkintilloch recently.
The Positive Achievements project supports young people and learners from across East Dunbartonshire into sustainable destinations by accessing jobs, education, training and volunteering opportunities.
The young people have had a busy six months completing a range of programmes which have provided them with invaluable life skills and experiences. They successfully completed the following courses:
- A five week Summer Step Up Programme
- An 18 week School Leaver programme for young people age 15 - 16 who are still attending school,
- An 18 week JET (Jobs, Education and Training) programmes for young people aged 16 - 20 who have already left school
- An 18 week Posi + programme for learners aged 19 - 30 with additional support needs and/or mild to moderate learning disabilities.
- A 5 day outdoor education focussed residential trip.
And gained the following qualifications:
- SCQF level 5 Fire Safety
- SCQF Level 5 Manual Handling
- SCQF Level 5 Customer Service
- SCQF Level 6 Emergency First Aid at Work
- REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene
- REHIS Elementary Health & Safety
- CSCS Certificate / Card
- ASDAN Bronze
- NICAS Level 1
- PX2 Breakout Certificate
The experiences the young people gain prepare them to move onto other training courses and qualifications. They also learn how to write a CV and how to prepare for job interviews, making them ready for the wider world of work and volunteering.
Councillor Mohrag Fischer, Convener of the Council’s Education Committee presented the participants with their portfolios.
She said, “It was a pleasure to attend this awards ceremony and hear from the young people about their experiences and to help them celebrate their achievements.
“This is a wonderful project which over the years has worked with hundreds of young people who are facing significant challenges in their lives. They are able to tailor a learning programme to each individual so that everyone grows in knowledge, picks up new skills and achieves a qualification at the end.
“Young people are offered a hugely varied range of courses and their achievements are simply inspirational. Well done to them all!”