Plans for a brand new Boclair Academy in Bearsden took a significant step forward this week as the partners involved agreed terms for the £40.9m project.
The agreement was reached between East Dunbartonshire Council, and contractor Wates Construction Limited/McLaughlin & Harvey Construction Limited. The project is being delivered via the SCAPE Construction Framework.
The new Boclair Academy will be built within the grounds of the existing school building on Inveroran Drive, Bearsden, and the current school building will be demolished on its completion. Pupils will continue to attend the existing school building for the duration of the construction phase. Building works are set for completion by summer 2022 with the landscaping works and demolition of the current building set to be complete by summer 2023. However, delays to the programme of works may occur depending on any future restrictions put in place to manage the current pandemic.
Joint Council Leader Andrew Polson welcomed this project milestone, saying, “This step forward in the construction of a new Boclair Academy is extremely welcome news, amidst what is undoubtedly a very difficult time for everyone. Despite the uncertainties surrounding restrictions to manage the Covid-19 pandemic, it is great to hear that under the current regulations the construction phase will soon be underway.”
Joint Council Leader Vaughn Moody added, “These are exciting times for the Boclair Academy school community who are looking forward to learning and working in a state-of-the-art new building. Working alongside our partners SCAPE and Wates/McLaughlin Harvey Construction Limited, we are moving ever closer towards a fabulous new school fit for the challenges of modern learning.”
The new two-storey building will deliver a state-of- the-art learning environment for 1,050 pupils which will feature a large entrance atrium, flexible learning zones, performance spaces and dining areas. There will also be improved outdoor sport facilities alongside a fully integrated landscape design which will include car and cycle parking bays.
The Council is working with a number of partners to deliver the new Boclair Academy. They are:
- The procurement framework used for the design and delivery of the new building through its Supply Chain. SCAPE is a public private joint venture organisation established to develop and deliver value for money property solutions for its public sector partners.
- Wates Construction Limited: The Main Contractor, appointed through SCAPE, to construct the new school.
- McLaughlin & Harvey Construction Limited: Sub-contractor appointed by Wates Construction Limited to complete the whole works.
- Ryder Architecture: The architecture firm, appointed through SCAPE, to design the new school.
- Doig & Smith: the Council’s project manager and independent cost consultant.
- Curtins: the civil and structural engineer for the project.
- Hawthorne Boyle: the mechanical and electrical engineer for the project.