Kinship Care


Image of child between man and womanWhen parents are unable to look after their children, relatives or family friends will sometimes step in to help. A Kinship Carer is someone that cares for a child who is not their own, but is either related to them or has a close relationship with the child.


There are two types of this type of carer:

Informal Kinship Carer - when a familial or private arrangement is made;

Formal Kinship Carer - where children are placed by a local authority or the courts.

The Kinship team in East Dunbartonshire can give support, information and advice to kinship carers, so they are properly equipped to meet the needs of the children and young people in their care.

For more information call the team on 0141 777 3003.