The Equality Engagement Group is a coordinated group of representatives from Community Planning Partners, Councillors and specialist groups with the strategic responsibility to influence local service delivery in East Dunbartonshire through member knowledge and expertise on equality matters. The Group was established in 2008 and meetings take place on a quarterly basis.
The Equality Engagement Group is made up of members from a range of Council Services, Councillors, and other Partners in East Dunbartonshire which include:
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- East Dunbartonshire Access Panel
- East Dunbartonshire Ethnic Minority Forum
- East Dunbartonshire Health and Social Care Partnership
- East Dunbartonshire Voluntary Action
- East Dunbartonshire Youth Council
- Kirkintilloch & District Seniors Forum
- LGBT Youth Scotland
- New College Lanarkshire
- Police Scotland
The Equality Engagement Group has the responsibility to carry out a number of activities which include:
- Advising those working in the public and voluntary sector in East Dunbartonshire with regard to equality matters in delivering their service
- Advocating for an inclusive East Dunbartonshire where public and voluntary services have a shared understanding and appreciation of equality
- Improving communication between public and voluntary service providers and end users with a protected characteristic(s).
- Providing guidance on request to Partners at the inception of any plan, policy or strategy development, in particular identifying groups for consultation
- Sharing good practice examples and opportunities for professional development between Partners
- Supporting capacity building for local groups in equality related aspects of their activities, including completing external funding applications
- Supporting relevant organisations in East Dunbartonshire to mainstream the Public Sector Equality Duty
Equality Engagement Group is guided by the Single Outcome Agreement and as such, reports on activities annually to the Community Planning Partnership Board. The group structures its activities in an Action Plan; a revised Action Plan for 2016-2017 is currently under development.
For more information about the Equality Engagement Group please contact the Policy Advisor for Equality (Community Planning and Partnerships Team) on firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 0300 123 4510.