EU exit

As of 1 January 2021

as a result of the UK leaving the European Union, new rules now apply in relation to living, working and studying in the UK for EU citizens and their family members. 

If you or your family members are an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen or you are an EU citizen with a family member from elsewhere in the world (without the permanent right to remain) you will need to apply for Pre-Settled or Settled Status in the UK before 30 June 2021.

EU Citizens and their family members must have been living in the UK prior to 31 December 2020 to be eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. Close family members who were not living in the UK by that date will be able to join you in the UK under current rules until 29 March 2022.

The UK Government has a useful online Brexit Checker for further information on how the UK leaving the EU may affect you.

Recruitment – Right to Work Checks

The Right to Work checks for EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens already in the UK prior to 31 December 2020 remain the same until 30 June 2021. After this time candidates will need to evidence their Pre-Settled or Settled Status. EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens entering the UK to work as of 1 January 2021 will have to evidence their right to work through the new UK Immigration Rules.


Under the new regulations for certain professions that are regulated, employees and candidates for recruitment may be required to obtain professional recognition of their qualifications to be able to practice. Areas where this applies  include Education, Law, Finance, Social work (under Health), Construction & Engineering, Transport and Roads. A full list of posts can be found at UK list of regulated professions.

If a qualification was officially recognised by the relevant regulator before 1 January 2021 this decision will remain valid and there is no need to do anything. If you were using the temporary or occasional declaration to work in the UK, you will need to get your qualification recognised by the relevant regulator. Different rules apply depending on your profession and where you are from in the EU.

Further information and advice for employees is available from your HR Business Partner at:

Please read these FAQs for further details on the EU Exit.