Who would have thought we would be at the October school week already! For those of you within our schools who are off this week or if you are taking some holidays this week, we hope you have nice break.
You'll know that further restrictions have been implemented across Scotland, with additional measures implemented across the Central belt, which includes East Dunbartonshire. We would encourage you to ensure you are aware of all the latest measures and you can find these on the Scottish Government website news update.
The new measures include the requirement to wear face coverings in the workplace where we previously did not need to. From today (Monday 12 October) anyone attending any of our workplaces must wear a face covering in communal areas, including corridors and stairwells, canteens, kitchen areas and break-out rooms and when moving around our smart working areas. Additional signs have been produced for our workplaces to remind you of these new requirements, and will be on display in all the relevant areas. From today, you must ensure that you have a face covering with you and that you wear it in the required areas when attending.
Further details were shared on Friday (9 October) in Employee News 68, which if you missed it is available in the Employee News section of the Employee Zone.
News from the Council - Service Updates
Our detailed fortnightly service updates cover all services and teams across the Council and the HSCP to highlight all of the work that's ongoing and how services have adapted as Scottish Government and Public Health Scotland guidance has allowed.
The Latest Service Update was issued to Elected Members on Friday (9 October) and you can find it on the Employee Zone link on the Council's website.
Other Council News
Planning permission granted for new Boclair Academy in Bearsden
Planning permission to build a new Boclair Academy in Bearsden was granted at the last Planning Board (29 September). This will allow the final project design to be progressed to financial close, subject to Council approval. The new school will be built within the grounds of Boclair Academy and will replace the existing school building. It is scheduled to open in Summer 2022. Subject to Council approval, enabling works phase will start during the October break and continue until Christmas, with the main works due to start in January 2021.
Killermont Primary School & Nursery
We are delighted to confirm that the Major Assets team agreed Practical Completion at Killermont on Friday (9 October) for its new extension - this is great news and we understand that the Head Teacher and her staff are delighted with the end product and well underway with their preparations to welcome pupils following the October week. We want to thank everyone involved in this project for their hard work and determination and we look forward to the completion of the remainder of the Early Years programme during early 2021.
Improving picture for air quality on Clean Air Day 2020 (8 October)
During lockdown, the country experienced cleaner air and we saw massive shifts to low pollution behaviour such as walking and cycling. East Dunbartonshire Council backed the call from Environmental Protection Scotland this Clean Air Day 2020 (8 October) to keep up the momentum and is asking everyone to do their part to keep our air as clean as possible. By continuing to walk and cycle as part of a daily exercise regime and reducing car use, everyone can help make a difference. Latest air quality monitoring continued to show a downward trend with pollutant levels at all four sites - Bearsden, Bishopbriggs, Kirkintilloch and Milngavie - falling within the Scottish objective levels. Find out more here about what the Council is doing to keep driving emissions down in villages and towns across the areas. Watch the Environmental Protection Scotland's campaign video here: https://www.ep-scotland.org.uk/clean-air-day/
Grants for good causes
Do you know of an organisation carrying out great work at the heart of the community who could use a boost? Online applications are sought for the latest round of the East Dunbartonshire Community Grants Scheme. Groups can apply for funding up to a maximum of £3,000 - by the deadline of Friday 30 October 2020 (terms and conditions apply). Forms and grant guidance are available on the Council website - visit www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/residents/council-democracy/community-planning/... for full details.
Thanks from the Land Planning Policy Team!
- The Land Planning Policy team would like to thank all services and teams who have supported work to produce Local Development Plan 2 over the last two years. It has been a huge team effort and is much appreciated. LDP2 is a statutory document which guides the development and regeneration of our communities and is used to determine all planning applications. The Proposed LDP2 was approved at Council on 20 August 2020 and the representation period will commence on 19 October 2020 until 15 January 2021. Please look out for documents and information from that date. Once the consultation has closed the team will analyse the representations and contact teams for input as required. If any team would like more information please contact Alison Laurence, Team Leader - Land Planning Policy.
Updates for Healthy Working Lives
It's as important now during the COVID-19 pandemic as ever to focus on Healthy Working Lives and looking after ourselves. We are delighted that the Council has achieved the Gold Award for Healthy Working Lives which further demonstrates our commitment to employee wellbeing.
As we have been unable to run our usual Healthy Working Lives activities due to COVID-19, a range of information relating to the Healthy Working Lives calendar is now available on the Employee Zone Here are the latest promotions:
In the pink for a perfect cause
- Wear it Pink Day is a firm favourite for many colleagues and even though many of us are currently working from home, we can still show our support on Friday 23 October. People are being urged to pop on some pink, raise money, and help support life-saving breast cancer research and life-changing care. Click on the Wear it Pink link for info: https://www.wearitpink.org/about
World Menopause Day
- Sunday 18 October is World Menopause Day - which aims to raise awareness of the menopause and support options for improving health and wellbeing. Visit https://www.imsociety.org/ and look out for the Council's new Menopause Guidance, which is being designed to provide information to employees and managers about the menopause and how we can support women experiencing these symptoms.
World Metal Health Day
- Saturday 10 October was World Metal Health Day, but the truth is that mental health is important every day of the year. We all need to look after our mental health and wellbeing ... and each other. Together we're stronger and it's important to know that you're not alone. Visit https://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/employee-zone/wellbeing, https://www.mind.org.uk/get-involved/world-mental-health-day/ and https://www.who.int/mental_health/world-mental-health-day/en/
And News from the Trust
Red letter day for culture vultures
- After being closed for more than six months, two much loved local culture venues are reopening. The Auld Kirk Museum and The Lillie Art Gallery will reopen on Tuesday 13 October 2020. They will open in line with Scottish Government guidance and public health advice in relation to COVID- 19 so some things will be different but the welcome will be warm and the exhibitions will be fresh and inspiring. And the ever popular Christmas Exhibitions are set to go ahead. An advance booking system will operate to ensure numbers are controlled and that everyone is safe. You can book at www.eventbrite.co.uk The media release gives lots more information on what's in store
Scotland’s People 2020: A Thank-You
BBC Scotland have been in touch about a programme they are planning this festive season - 'Scotland’s People 2020: A Thank-You'. It's billed as a 60-minute celebration of folk who made a difference during the coronavirus crisis. So many of you have gone above and beyond the call of duty, we could fill many hours of TV time just from East Dunbartonshire! If you know of a special individual or group and want to nominate them to be highlighted, you are asked to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit bbc.co.uk/scotlandspeople before 18 October 2020.
Thanks, Stay Safe & Take Care
Ann and Thomas
9 September 2020