| Home | Latest news | Site Map | Search | Website accessibility | Customer complaints | Terms and Conditions | Website Feedback Form | Access Keys |
Skip Nav

East Dunbartonshire Home

Find your Nearest

Using our online interactive maps, you can find your nearest Council services and facilities

Find Your Nearest

Find services near you

Birth - registering

When should I register a birth?

Any birth which occurs in Scotland must be registered within 21 days by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.  The law allows a birth to be registered in any registration district in Scotland.

Who may register a birth?

A birth must be registered by one of the child's parents. In a case where the parents are married to each other, only one parent need visit the registrar and either the mother or father may choose to register the birth.

Where the parents are not married to each other but both parents' names are to appear on the birth entry, both parents should visit the registrar, together, to register the birth.  If either parent is unable to be present at the time of registration, the parents should contact the registrar, who will explain how the birth may be registered.  If the father's name is not to appear on the child's birth certificate, the mother should register the birth alone.

In a situation where the mother has decided to register the birth alone but both parents later wish the natural father's name to be added, this may be done at any time in the future. Any local registrar will explain how this may be done.

Information on who has parental responsibilities and rights for a child, is available in the Scottish Government publication Family matters: family law and young people in Scotland (pdf) (158Kb)

What documents should I take to the registrar?

After the birth, the hospital, doctor or midwife will issue a form containing details of the birth and information about how to register the birth. This form should be presented to the registrar, to allow the birth to be registered.  If the parents are married to each other, their marriage certificate should also be presented to the registrar.

Tell us Once

We also offer a Tell Us Once service, which allows the Registrar to contact local council services and government agencies that need to know about the birth on your behalf. This will save you having to contact them all individually.

What documents will you receive?

After the birth has been registered, the registrar will provide you with the following documents:

  • Abbreviated certificate of birth - issued free of charge
  • Form EC58 (to register your child with your doctor) - issued free of charge
  • Full extracts or certificates of the birth may be obtained on payment of the current statutory fee.

East Dunbartonshire Council has three registration offices in Kirkintilloch, Bishopbriggs and Bearsden.

Bearsden Registration Office,
38 Roman Road,
G61 2SH
Bishopbriggs Registration Office,
Bishopbriggs Library,
170 Kirkintilloch Road,
G64 2LX
Kirkintilloch Registration Office,
Community Hub,
2-4 West High Street, Kirkintilloch,
G66 1AD
Telephone: 0141 578 8669 Telephone: 0141 578 8557 Telephone: 0300 123 4510


Opening times for Bearsden and Kirkintilloch Monday 9am - 12.30pm, 1.30pm - 5pm 
Tuesday - Friday 9am - 12.30pm, 1.30pm - 4pm 
Opening times for Bishopbriggs

"Due to staff training there is currently a limited service operating in Bishopbriggs Library. Please call customer services on 0300 123 4510 to confirm opening times before visiting the library for registration services. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes however when training is complete we will be able provide an enhanced registration service for our customers in the Bishopbriggs area"

Last Reviewed: 07/04/2015