| Home | Latest news | Site Map | Search | Website accessibility | Customer complaints | Terms and Conditions | Website Feedback Form | Access Keys |
Skip Nav

East Dunbartonshire Home

Council Tax - discounts and exemptions

There are circumstances in which you may be entitled to a discount or exemption on the amount of Council Tax due. Help is also available for people with disabilities.


If you are the only adult aged 18 or over in the property you may be entitled to a single occupancy discount.

Some people are not counted when deciding how many adults are resident in a property.

If you think you may be eligible for a discount please select the appropriate link to download an application form.

Discounts – Unoccupied Properties

A dwelling which is no one’s sole or main residence may qualify for a discount of 10% or 50% of the Council Tax charge.

From 1 April 2010, the amount of discount has reduced from 50% to 10% in accordance with Council Tax (Discount for Unoccupied Dwellings) (Scotland) Regulations 2005.

A 10% discount covers the following:

  • Second home / holiday home
  • Empty periods between tenants of furnished lets
  • Empty property after earlier exemptions or discounts have run out

A 50% discount covers the following:

  • Unoccupied periods prior to 1 April 2010
  • Empty property after the six months exemption for an unoccupied and unfurnished has finished (maximum six months at 50%)
  • Job related dwelling (e.g. clergy)
  • Six months from the date of purchase of any property that is undergoing or requires major repair work to render it habitable or is undergoing structural alteration.
  • Purpose built holiday homes

Application for Council Tax discount for a property which is unoccupied


There are a number of circumstances where a property may be exempt from Council Tax. If you think your property may be exempt please select the appropriate link to download an application form.

Help for people with disabilities

A reduction may be possible if you, or someone who lives with you, has a disability and needs an extra room or bathroom to meet your/their needs, or use a wheelchair indoors.

Application for Council Tax Discount where you, or a member of the household, must be a disabled person

Last Reviewed: 08/06/2015