| Home | Latest news | Site Map | Search | Website accessibility | Customer complaints | Terms and Conditions | Website Feedback Form | Access Keys |
Skip Nav

East Dunbartonshire Home

Find your Nearest

Using our online interactive maps, you can find your nearest Council services and facilities

Find Your Nearest

Find services near you

Welfare Reform Act 2012 - Benefits are changing

Welfare benefits banner


Get the facts and be prepared


The UK Government has introduced the Welfare Reform Act that is bringing about the biggest change to the benefits system since it was introduced after the Second World War. This section of the website provides important information about these changes.

Most of the changes will start in April 2013 and will affect many people of working age living in East Dunbartonshire who are on benefits or claim benefits from time to time.

So what will change?

  • Housing Benefit (from April 2013)
  • Council Tax Benefit (from April 2013)
  • Disability Living Allowance (from June 2013)

In addition, from April 2013 crisis grants and community care grants will be managed by East Dunbartonshire Council instead of the Department for Work and Pensions. Also, by the end of September 2013, the total amount of benefits that working-age households can receive will be capped (known as the Benefit Cap) and a new single benefit called Universal Credit will be introduced from October 2013 to replace a number of other benefits.

The following links provide detailed explanations of the UK Government’s changes to the benefits system:

If you need help and advice about the changes, please contact the following organisations:

For Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit enquiries:

East Dunbartonshire Council, tel 0300 123 4510, email benefits@eastdunbarton.gov.uk

For Benefits entitlement enquiries:

Citizens Advice Bureau, tel 0141 775 3220, email bureau@eastdunbartoncab.casonline.org.uk

For free, independent and confidential debt advice:

Citizens Advice Bureau Money Advice Line, tel 0141 775 3222, and Money Advice Service, tel 0300 500 5000 or visit www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk

For general benefits enquiries:

Department for Work and Pensions, call 0845 605 7064 or call the Pension Service, 0845 606 0265

For advice or information about an ongoing claim:

Jobcentre Plus, call 0845 6088 545

Last Reviewed: 02/06/2015

Print | Subscribe | View Subscriptions